Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 10 months ago #6381

• ak_troller
Yes. Tried it with the file in and out of a Garmin directory. When the SD card is in, Homeport shows under devices:
Memory Card (G:)
untitled
No listing of what is on the card.
Also trued it on a USB thumb drive with the same results.

Bill
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 10 months ago #6382

• AnglingCharts
Interesting….

Ive sent you all you need to replicate what I have on the SD card here - just an xml file and the gmapsupp.img file. After doing this do not put the SD card into the GPS, only the laptop. Let me know what you see in Homeport ?

The GPS appears to have been crippled by Garmin in the latest firmware update, so the workaround would be required. It’s a bit of a fiddle, and would be the sort of thing you’d do once you have a completed chart.

"Dear Garmin......Well done Garmin for alienating an entire segment of your market. Inspired move. I'm sure you dont need any help to shoot your other foot too"

Personally I’d consider selling the thing and buying Lowrance if you want to do your own survey work, you'll be able to make top quality charts not only for your GPS, but as printable references as well.

All the best

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 10 months ago #6436

• ak_troller
Started from scratch today. Discovered that I did not select write all in GMapTool. Worked like a charm. Feel a lot better (and a bit foolish) that the map shows in HomePort now.
Unfortunately, I get a "this map format is not supported" when trying to load it in the 7612. This was with the file you sent me. Garmin rides again. If you have the time, I am interested in trying the "fiddle" to get full functionality.

Thanks!

Bill
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by ak_troller.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 10 months ago #6458

• AnglingCharts

Mucking about in boats

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 10 months ago #6463

• Team Colibri
The ruling can be read here:
s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.feder...r.gov/2015-30733.pdf
It is a lot more informative then the pressreleases from Navico and Garmin.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 10 months ago #6474

• ak_troller
It's a never ending competition between the various companies.Flir’s Raymarine brand has sued and was sued by Furuno. Furuno has also sued Navico, owner of the Lowrance and Simrad lines, which in turn has sued Raymarine. Garmin was sued by Navico, Johnson Outdoors , and Furuno.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 9 months ago #6538

• ak_troller
Hi Trevor,

Taking a break from fishing. I took a good look at your website. Excellent work! You have put a lot of thought and hard work into it's creation. I was pleasantly surprised when looking at the OpenCPN link to see track lines without any highlighting. I dug around for a bit until I found the checkbox to eliminate the highlighting. My charts look much better now and make navigation easier. I’ve been using OpenCPN on a laptop until I can get the charts into the Garmin. I’ve been looking around the various map making sites for more info on bypassing Garmin’s intentional blocking user map uploads. I’m getting the impression that the 2015 products are blocked. Some of the older units, were able to use older updates to bypass the problem. That does not seem possible with the newer units. When you have the time, I would appreciate your input on a work around. For the interim, have a joyous Holiday season.

Bill

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 9 months ago #6539

• AnglingCharts
Thanks Bill,

send me your latest img file and I'll see what I can do.

Have a great christmas.

T

Mucking about in boats

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 9 months ago #6545

• ak_troller
Thanks to a great deal of work from Trevor, I was finally able to load a ReefMaster chart to my Garmin 7612 xsv. The following pictures are Garmin and Google Earth screen shots. The area is Thomas Bay on Frederick Sound about 15 miles NW of Petersburg Alaska.

I don't worry too much about beach line and adjacent terrain. I want the contour lines to follow for catching salmon. A huge thanks to Trevor for the all of the work and time he invested in this project.

Bill
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by ak_troller. Reason: Forgot something

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 9 months ago #6547

• AnglingCharts
Not only can we load bathymetry created with RM onto new Garmin units, but we can grab ENC shapefiles from here encdirect.noaa.gov/ to create our own custom charts with shoreline data c/o NOAA. This was all done in Gpsmapedit, with a little help from GMapTool
Attachments:

Mucking about in boats

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 9 months ago #6562

• AnglingCharts
There is a somewhat customized and special version of GPSMapedit sitting here sourceforge.net/projects/gmeaddons/

It has the ability, amongst other things, to export ALL the attributes assigned to an an object, rather than just the Garmin ones. Its a bit useful.

T

Mucking about in boats
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by AnglingCharts.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 5 years 9 months ago #6644

• Gimper
To start off I don't have a Garmin chartplotter/sonar unit. I do have a Garmin Handheld unit ( Oregon 600 ) and wanted to display some of the charts I made with RM on the handheld for ice fishing. I read and reread thru this thread and, to be frank, it overwhelmed me. I did get some charts on to the unit by exporting the chart images from RM and then converting them to .KMZ files with Google Earth and then uploading them to the handheld. The problem is that Garmin has a limit on the size of the image files so when I zoom in the images get pixelated/blurry. Other than making a 20 acre lake into 80 tiles and uploading all of the tiles is there an easier way to get sharper images onto a handheld unit?
SCROLL TO TOP