Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 9 years 8 months ago #3061

• fjordfisher
For export as gpx file You need a newer Homeport version (current 2.2.4 or 2.2.5). If You see depth values from an ADM file - is must work.

Right mouse button on the ADM file and "Export".

Last Edit: 9 years 8 months ago by fjordfisher.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6328

• ak_troller
Hi Trevor,
I've been attempting to make a useable Garmin map using data I previously collected with a Humminbird. Nothing complicated, just tracks. I'm pretty sure I followed all of your directions, but nothing is ever visible on my Garmin or in Homeport. I also tried to use the image file from your sample files in Homeport. Same results. I'm using a Garmin GPSMAP 7612xps. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Bill

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6330

• Team Colibri
If your 7612 or Homeport has been updated since november 2014, then that`s the reason why it does not work. Garmin does not play well with others, and around that time released updates that blocks both their units and PC-software from using the IMG-format.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6331

• AnglingCharts
There is a piece on my website about it. www.anglingcharts.com/charts/corribforgarmin.html

I had thought previously that it was only the Echomap series that were affected, but it seems as though the newer GPSMap units have the same ridiculous limitation. There is a workaround for it, but it's not partcularly user friendly.

I havent looked at it for a few months, but I'm surprised Homeport has a similar limitation now. How are you trying to load the chart ? If you want me to have a look at it just use the address on my website and send me a zipped up img and mp file.

T

EDIT Tracks are not exported from RM with a Garmin code. You can only make a chart object using defined codes. These are built into RM at the moment for import into GPSMapedit, or you can assign codes using the Skinfiles in GPSMapedit. I need to know your exact workflow Bill ?
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by AnglingCharts.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6332

• Team Colibri
Correct. Both Homeport and all -xs and -xsv versions of GPSMap had this bulit in in the sofware that was released late november 2014. Garmin even updated units that where not sold yet, so a unit bought after december 2014 is most likely blocked from using IMG to start with. Only older models (like 412, 512 etc) don`t have this IMG-block in their updates.

In our project we sent out info to all our Garmin-users NOT to update, but a couple of them did it anyway. Both of them have since changed to another brand, or bought a seperate chartplotter from another brand.

Even the new Quickdraw-format is locked and can not be edited. So basically Garmin is coming out with an even worse aplication then Humminbirds AutoChart/ AutoChart Live.

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6336

• ak_troller
Thank you both for your quick replies. I greatly appreciate the help you are providing! Trevor, I will send you the files.
Unfortunately, Homeport and the Garmin unit are using the latest software. It would be interesting to try the image file with an older version of Homeport, but I don’t have one available to me. I really want to be able to use ReefMaster as I already have lots of data for my fishing areas. By the way, I have exported Garmin RSD files in gpx, csv, and tab delimitated – depth is not included, only lat and lon. Garmined yet again.
After the initial exporting of the shapefile from ReefMaster I imported the major contours.shp file as I have no shorelines. I have also tried this adding the Isobath and Minor Contours. It looks great but the results were the same. I was not able to adjust properties in GPSMapEdit until I imported the file (using the freeware until I see if it will work for me). I believe that I set everything correctly. Saved it and then exported it using cGPS Mapper. I tried sending it directly to an SD card and a thumb drive – either of which has worked for me using Homeport. I tried naming the image file gmapsupp and using 8 digits. It shows up as untitled on the device list directory (card or drive is listed.
1. Export as shapefile from ReefMaster
2. GPSMap Edit
a. Import Major Contours shapefile
b. Type set as Garmin
c. Select 0x0025 Major Depth Contour (1/1) (0x0302 was not available)
d. Highlight the value column
e. No changes to remaining screens
f. Under Header tab
i. File – Map Properties
ii. Type set “Garmin”
iii. ID: 87654321
iv. Name: Spurt Reef
g. Levels
i. Change Level1 Bits to 22
h. cGPSMapper tab
i. TRE size: 600
ii. RGN limit: 1024
iii. TRE margin: .02
iv. Preprocessing: No
i. Extras
i. Add Marine as Key
ii. Add “B” as Value
j. Apply
k. OK
l. File – Save as – 87654321.mp
i. File – Export – Garmin/ cgpsmapper.exe
ii. Save (87654321.img) or (gmapsupp.img)
3. cGPSMapper
a. Run
b. Close

Thanks for taking the time! Bill
This looked a lot better in Word...

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6337

• AnglingCharts
Bill,

you NEED to use the correct Garmin type (0x0301 etc). 0025 is not actually a marine object, its a non marine depth contour (yeah...I know....) - and you can only use Marine objects (you'll find them listed in the cgpsmapper manual). You dont appear to be using the anglingcharts skinfile ? You can simply select all the lines in GPSMapedit and right click - modify - type. Now write 0x0301 in the little box in the top left that says "code".

Using the wrong type of object will also produce what you are (not) seeing, so give it a go.

T

Mucking about in boats

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6338

• AnglingCharts
There you go...

You need to get a copy of GMapTool, load your img file into it, go to "Write", and set the MsFlag to "0" (this neat little trick is all that is needed to open a chart in Homeport) . I've done this quick chart using a 301 polyline. As you can see, it is opening in Homeport. Not sure what version they are up to now, but the one I use is on the image.

T

Mucking about in boats

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6339

• ak_troller
Thanks Trevor. I do have your anglingcharts skinfile enabled. Changing the code sure makes it look nice. I will get a copy of GMapTool and keep on messing. I'm guessing that if it show in Homeport, the machine may let me load it. Thank you again. Bill

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6362

• AnglingCharts
And here it is running in the latest Homeport 2.2.10 with no modifications to the chart at all other than using the correct marine object (as in previous post)

T

Mucking about in boats

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6379

• ak_troller
Wow! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I tried Homeport (same version as above picture) with the file you sent me but still had negative results. I copied it to a SD card into a directory named Garmin, but it was not visible in Homeport. I also tried it in the 7612 with no success. The attached photo shows what happened. I'll keep trying though - I really want to make use of all my data. Any thoughts on where I am going wrong?

Thanks for your patience

Bill

Creating spectacular Garmin charts simply from RM. 8 years 3 months ago #6380

• AnglingCharts
You have renamed the file to gmapsupp.img havent you ?........

T

Mucking about in boats
SCROLL TO TOP