Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: GPSMapedit as a graphical front-end for the IMC

GPSMapedit as a graphical front-end for the IMC 8 years 8 months ago #5794

• AnglingCharts
Danny, I found that with some very large maps in GME a problem with the database can occur. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but if you simply open the polygon shapefile in Globalmapper, and save it, the problem has gone. Not very scientific I know, but it looks as though its an issue in GME itself. If you save in Globalmapper make sure you uncheck the "Layers" box or it will overwrite your layer attribute.

As a direct export the files compile in IMC, and open in Insight Planner, even though there appears to be a fault with the shapefile database. Heres one I just made. This is a straight export from GME, load into IMC, compile and open in Insight Planner.

I've included the dat file I used in the Export schema folder.

I'm not sure of the difference between IG Shapefiles and ESRI shapefiles - I'd have thought they would be the same (its a standard)

Remembering that this is for display on a GPS it's never a bad idea to "generalize" the chart. This will dramatically improve the shapefiles probability of being acceptable to fussy GIS applications. In GME "Tools-Generalize-Polylines and Polygons"

T

Attachment ShpLowranceACnew.zip not found

http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats
Last Edit: 8 years 8 months ago by AnglingCharts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

GPSMapedit as a graphical front-end for the IMC 8 years 8 months ago #5807

• DannyGeysen
Thanks a lot Trevor for this information.
Lowrance ProStaff

GPSMapedit as a graphical front-end for the IMC 6 years 3 weeks ago #10192

• MarsArtis
This is a great Topic.
There are some hints I've discovered in the past two years here and there but have to say that AnglingCharts rocks! Thx.

This said, I just want to add that using GPSMApedit I was able to make modified Maps for Garmin Etrex10.
Yes ETREX 10. Which is not a real cartography GPS. It has an internal storage as little as 8MB.

Using GpsMapedit I've been able to crop OPENseamaps, remove unwanted data and vectors like roads and what else just leaving shoreline and few coastal items for reference.
Then output them as Garmin IMG.

Now that I've discovered ReefMaster I'll download the trial and try it out.

My ambitious project is to setup this workflow:
  • buy the right echo/gps to mount on a kayak and go and scan bays and coast I usually dive in for spearfishing.
  • Use reefmaster to acquire the data, build a comprehnsive map of my area of interest
  • export map so to make a paper print out in illustrator/photoshop
  • export map back to echo/gps and to Etrex10
If you're wondering why etrex then: it's so compact but so accurate in positioning that I can us it attached to my buoy when I'm diving.

So It would be interesting to understand if other users have implemented their own workflow to build back maps for their GARMIN most updated units.

Using GPSMapedit to create populated shapefiles 5 years 8 months ago #10458

• MarsArtis
Is there a way to add tide station in custom maps created by RM and maybe post processed in GPSmapedit so that Lowrance (EliteTi or Hds) units can show current tides?

Using GPSMapedit to create populated shapefiles 5 years 8 months ago #10459

• gpiverson
The Insight Map Creator does not allow you to create tide or current stations.

GPSMapedit as a graphical front-end for the IMC 5 years 6 months ago #10666

• MarsArtis
I'm giving a try to your Tutorials.
But I'm stuck at GarminRM8 step since my exported shapefile from RM2 has no InvertedShoreline.shp.

I do think that Land.shp will do, am I wrong?
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by MarsArtis.

GPSMapedit as a graphical front-end for the IMC 5 years 6 months ago #10672

• MarsArtis
Ok I neeed some advice since I'm trying to make a Garmin map starting from RM with the help of GPSMapedit.

I've added some polygons, polyline layers in my MAP project (for istance some Rock areas), the shapefile export is fine in RM and the Import in GME too.
What I would like to know is:
how to change the default NAUTICAL label during the import to something else (like ROCKS or STRUCTURE)?
I know that I can avoid showing the label by uncheckin the box, but I would like to show a custom Label at once (my project is populated by lots of areas and changing them at one is the only way to not spend hundreds of hours).

Second question:
I've noticed that some Navico Description fails to be shown on the Etrex10 (maybe a limit... like ATLAS description for Lowrance units?)
Navico Bottom Structure 1 - not showing
Navico Bottom Structure 2 - OK su Etrex10
Navico Bottom Hardness 4 - not showing

GPSMapedit as a graphical front-end for the IMC 1 year 9 months ago #12692

• DannyGeysen
Is there someone willing to share a more recent version of a modified ShpDefault.dat file; that is adapted to the newer options in the recent IMC Atlas versions?
Thank you.
Lowrance ProStaff
SCROLL TO TOP