Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lowrance hds gen2 touch

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4057

• hermes
So, I guess I made a mistake getting the elite-7... Whilst I love the unit, With rm now making great SS mosaics, I'm going to have to get a structure scan unit!

I know the recommendation is to get the biggest screen you can afford, but has anybody used the hds-7 gen2 touch (with inbuilt structure scan) with the wireless go free module? Does the SS show up well on something like an ipad? I'm not concerned about the other bits and pieces not included with the 7 version (eg extra card port, video input etc) as long as I can get a good view on a linked ipad. Have got a point 1 with nmea 2000 starter kit, so I'm hoping it's just a case of getting the hds7, extra nmea 2000 bits and the go free module.

Anyone tried it? Good / bad points?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4058

• Luke
Yes, used/tested a Android Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet and Ipad 3 (at the same time !) with a lot of Pleasure :-)
Found nothing real negative.

I tested and described it here: www.tacklefever.de/index.php?topic=2982.msg24021#msg24021

On the tablet you will get a Screen Size that comes near the HDS Gen 2 9".
The Resoloution of the 7" and the 9" Units are the same, 800x480 Pixel,
so it seems like with an Ipad or any other tablet you will get mostly the same Screen Size but with a less Price.

Measured on the HDS 7" diagonal approx. 17,5 cm.
On the Tablet diagonal approx. 22,1 cm.
This means 4,3 cm or 1,7" more.
Tablet In comparison to the HDS 9 maybe tablet is about 0,8 cm less !

In my Thread there was also a Video to demonstrate the Speed while using the HDS remote from the Pad.
I think this is realy great... having a tablet in Front of the Boat, and the unit on the console,
maybe a second tablet in the back of the boat so both Anglers can see whats happen.

Here is the Link to the Posting with the Test: www.tacklefever.de/index.php?topic=2982.msg35076#msg35076
Luke
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Luke.

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4059

• hermes
Great, thanks for the info Luke. Sounds perfect. Will have a look at your links.

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4061

• Team Colibri
While I don`t use any of the Touch units, I do use three non-touch HDS units (both Gen 1 and Gen 2), StructureScan and GoFree. The GoFree-module works flawlessly on my Ipad Mini, IPhone 5 and IPad 2. SideScan actually is great on the 16:9 format screen IPad Mini. I guess the next step would be to put Apple TV in the boat to mirror it on a really large screen. I already know my Google Earth maps from Reefmaster looks really good on the 52" screen at home...

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4062

• AnglingCharts
Have you tried to use "VGA out" on an iPad to put it onto a PC or compatible TV ? I've been looking for a way to put SS onto a really BIG display for years.

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4063

• Team Colibri
I have one of these:
store.apple.com/us/product/MD826ZM/A/lig...g-digital-av-adapter

I haven't tried it with the GoFree, but I see no reason it shouldn't work. Guess it will be a lot easier (and cheaper) to use that then the Apple TV, although maybe slightly less cool. :)

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4077

• AnglingCharts
Too old to consider coolness a valid criteria. "effectiveness" is what does it for me....:)
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4079

• Matt
Do you just get a mirror of the image on the unit when you view on a tablet, or do you get an upscale in resolution? The units have mostly rather a low resolution, whereas the raw sonar typically has a few thousand potential pixels (either vertically for 2D, or across for SS). Potentially you could get a very high-resolution image on a large screen if the raw data were being sent across and assembled on the app. Otherwise 600 pixels in height might look a little blocky on a 40 inch screen :)

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4080

• hermes
thanks for all the info!

i think id be quite happy with a good view on an iPad for ss! i think my 6m oceanmaster boat might look a bit weird with a 40 inch plasma on the console ;-)

still, you've all answered my question - I'm going for the 7 inch hds touch and wifi link.... well, at least, I'm hoping father christmas will fit it down the chimney!

cheers

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4081

• Team Colibri
There where offers of Touch 7 with GoFree included flying around at the start of the season. With all the rumours going around about Gen 3, you should be able to get a good deal.

Btw, my boat is "only" 5,40 and with 3 HDS and my IPad I'm close to 30" already in total screensize. ;)
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Team Colibri.

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4082

• Team Colibri
Matt wrote:
Do you just get a mirror of the image on the unit when you view on a tablet, or do you get an upscale in resolution? The units have mostly rather a low resolution, whereas the raw sonar typically has a few thousand potential pixels (either vertically for 2D, or across for SS). Potentially you could get a very high-resolution image on a large screen if the raw data were being sent across and assembled on the app. Otherwise 600 pixels in height might look a little blocky on a 40 inch screen :)

It only mirrors, although there is some resizing going on as well. Here is a pic of my Ipad Mini next to the HDS 5 It`s mirroring:

Lowrance hds gen2 touch 6 years 11 months ago #4119

• Luke
Matt wrote:

From the 7" and the 9" Touch,
you will get the same resolution as the unit has,
but interpolated to fit the Tablet Size, by keeping the aspect ratio.

As you see here:
www.tacklefever.de/index.php?topic=2982.msg35076#msg35076
in the picture with the two colored Arrows,
the Information ist just stretched/interpolated.

The same happens between the 7" Touch and the 9" Touch,
Both Units have the same resolution, the 9" only has a bigger Screen, but shows not more Information/Details.

The Bigger Units have a better resolution.
But i cant say which resolution you will get from them transferred to the tablets.
Luke
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Luke.
  • Page:
SCROLL TO TOP