Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bottom hardness and vegetation.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 8 months ago #1062

  • Team Colibri
  • Team Colibri's Avatar
  • Offline
As you gentlemen are discussing, I see two different markets for mapping-software:
- nerds like us that are more or less just as excited about making the maps as fishing with them.
- those that want a plug and play version where they enter data without any messing about, and get a file ready to put on their SD-card.

As most of us belong to the first category, I belive we should be very careful when contemplating on what the second category want and their willingness to pay top dollar. I belive Jonas has a valid point, and just because RM has a better pricemodel then DD does not mean it's perfect. ;)

The marketplace for mapping-software and -services aimed at fishermen is just at a startingpoint in Europe. Take a look at what has happened over the las 5-10 years in the US and you will probably get a glimpse of what will happen in Europe in 2014. Major players like Navico and Navionics are trying to take the market for my second category of user, and I belive this is where the volume resides. I really don't see how RM in it's present form can compete with these services, and therefore conlude that RM will be forced to service us nerds. This is a very expencive customer-base, with huge expectations, and in order to keep us nerds happy RM will have to spend a lot on R&D and CR, a cost that will be reflected in their price.

If RM want's a piece of the second-category market, I belive they should launch products directly aimed at these users. Low pricing (less then 99 USD), and very simple user-interface with as few options as possible. Perhaps one aplication per MFD-brand, just to make it even easier for the end consumer, ie one for Lowrance, one for Humminbird etc. A lot of people out there has no idea what the coneangle on their tranceduser is, and have no intention of even reading the manual of their MFD, but they do want maps like the pros.....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 8 months ago #1064

  • AnglingCharts
  • AnglingCharts's Avatar
  • Offline
Colibri has some very valid points, and I agree with him.

The market is different the East side of the Atlantic for a few reasons. One of which is the availability of data. The shoreline data for the USA is freely available, as with official chart data. Maybe someone pointed out that the things had already been paid for by the taxpayer when the projects were financed, so why pay twice? Neither AC or IG would be possible without a massive database of freely available accurate shoreline data.

This is unlikely to change in Europe, and if you want a good shoreline you are going to have to make it yourself. This involves a certain commitment to software and "geekism"

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by AnglingCharts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 8 months ago #1065

  • Team Colibri
  • Team Colibri's Avatar
  • Offline
AnglingCharts wrote:
Neither AC or IG would be possible without a massive database of freely available accurate shoreline data.

This is unlikely to change in Europe, and if you want a good shoreline you are going to have to make it yourself. This involves a certain commitment to software and "geekism"

T

At least one of these have made agreements with several european countries already. The major issue in Europe is seaside-shorelines, innland shorelands is just a question of payment.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Team Colibri.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 8 months ago #1067

  • AnglingCharts
  • AnglingCharts's Avatar
  • Offline
Of course it always possible to licence the data from someone - its available. But then it needs to be at an affordable price which will be passed onto the (small) customer base.
When a map is made - its made. Subsequent updates are not very important to fishermen. Once fishermen start swapping charts, publishing them online, or even selling them the market for DIY will dwindle. You cant plan something longterm on the basis that the market is going to get smaller.
We've already seen the point made earlier that someone feels its not worth buying the software at a reasonable price simply because they are only mapping 3 lakes.

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 8 months ago #1068

  • AnglingCharts
  • AnglingCharts's Avatar
  • Offline
Team Colibri wrote:
AnglingCharts wrote:
Neither AC or IG would be possible without a massive database of freely available accurate shoreline data.

This is unlikely to change in Europe, and if you want a good shoreline you are going to have to make it yourself. This involves a certain commitment to software and "geekism"

T

At least one of these have made agreements with several european countries already. The major issue in Europe is seaside-shorelines, innland shorelands is just a question of payment.

Colibri,

do you have a provenance for this information ?

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 8 months ago #1070

  • Team Colibri
  • Team Colibri's Avatar
  • Offline
AnglingCharts wrote:
Team Colibri wrote:
AnglingCharts wrote:
Neither AC or IG would be possible without a massive database of freely available accurate shoreline data.

This is unlikely to change in Europe, and if you want a good shoreline you are going to have to make it yourself. This involves a certain commitment to software and "geekism"

T

At least one of these have made agreements with several european countries already. The major issue in Europe is seaside-shorelines, innland shorelands is just a question of payment.

Colibri,

do you have a provenance for this information ?

T

Yes, but not to share, sorry.
What is publicaly available information is IG releasing in Northern Europe as well as Navionics increasing their mapping of scandinavian lakes by several tenfolds. For Navionics and Norway, it's rather obvious they have bought their data from NVE (Official Norwegian inland water authorities) since the new Navionics maps show exactly the same contours as the paperdrafts available from NVE. Navionics has also made their "Community layer" available for Northern Europe wich means you can utpload your data to them and get an update for your Navionics card back.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Team Colibri.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 6 months ago #1696

  • Virre
  • Virre's Avatar
  • Offline
Hi Matt
Any news on the release date of the BT module?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 6 months ago #1697

  • Matt
  • Matt's Avatar
  • Offline
Hi Virre,

All going well, the end of next week (so, weekend of 8/9 Feb).

Not long now!

Matt
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 6 months ago #1699

  • Martin
  • Martin's Avatar
  • Offline
And as a beta tester I can say it is worth waiting for. Having used other similar programs before for hardness mapping I think ReefMaster provides the best means to tune the map as you please.

/Martin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 3 months ago #2519

  • DAVES
  • DAVES's Avatar
  • Offline
any updates as to when vegetation add for BT may be released?
DS
<*)))><
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 6 years 3 months ago #2524

  • Matt
  • Matt's Avatar
  • Offline
Hi Dave,
It is still planned, but it won't be until after the next two releases - sonar viewer improvements and the SS mosaic module - so most likely we are looking at the back end of 2014.

Matt
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bottom hardness and vegetation. 5 years 10 months ago #3789

  • fvignola
  • fvignola's Avatar
  • Offline
Is it released ?

Thanks

Fred
The administrator has disabled public write access.
SCROLL TO TOP

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site