Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Google Earth v8 on Android - warning!

Google Earth v8 on Android - warning! 9 years 6 months ago #3986

• Matt
A word of warning - Google Earth v8 has been released for Android and updates are being pushed out now. This new version of Google Earth is a major change and is very flaky in some areas. In particular, KML/Z support is patchy (at best) and RM maps exported in GE format do not work well under this version. This does not appear to be due to issues with what we are exporting and so at the moment there is no fix (KML files created in the desktop version of GE are similarly affected). Google are apparently aware of the issues and they will be fixed "in time".

In the meantime, if you do view RM maps on GE for Android I suggest that you:
  • Do not update GE when prompted to do so.
  • If you have updated GE and are having issues displaying maps, then you need to roll back to v7 of GE. I don't know of a formal way of doing this, but it is possible to uninstall v8 of GE and then locate and download an APK (installer) file for GE v7 and install this manually on your device (I've just done it on two Android devices).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Google Earth v8 on Android - warning! 9 years 3 months ago #4634

• ResQ91
I have found a possible workaround for my maps.
I changed file names to omit ANY spaces, dashes, dots (.)
It seems to open in GE 8 now.
Also, here is a link to an older version I liked best:
google-earth.en.uptodown.com/android/download/49309

Google Earth v8 on Android - warning! 6 years 5 months ago #9951

• Conrad_Turbo
I know this topic is super old but I am running a Samsung Note 5 with Android 5.1.1 and the latest version of Google Earth (which was last updated Nov 15, 2017).

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.earth&hl=en

Now I just bought this software after demo~ing it about a month ago. I finally made my first export and it's viewable in Google Earth Pro on my PC with no issues. However my primary purpose with the Google Earth export was to load the map to my phone so I could walk out onto the ice and know exactly where I should punch holes in the ice to fish. However there doesn't seem to be any settings that can be adjusted on the export portion of it...however it looks fine on a PC. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Edit: All I can see is a block of white for the area that is mapped, zooming in and out kind of shows iso lines...but it's not useable data. Also with sidescan it just shows a big red X...
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Conrad_Turbo.

Google Earth v8 on Android - warning! 6 years 5 months ago #9956

• Matt
A bit more info required, please. What kind of map are you exporting? Which layers, of what types? Which sidescan format are you exporting in?
There are some other Android apps that actually do a better job than GE of showing RM maps - take a look at this thread for some more information.

Google Earth v8 on Android - warning! 6 years 5 months ago #9958

• Conrad_Turbo
I am exporting a Map Project with Shaded Reliefs, Major and Minor Contours. The sidescan is a Sidescan Mosaic, there doesn't seem to be anything else that defines it? I did however get it to work without a hitch with Galileo for the contour map I was having issues with, I'll trim down my sidescan mosiac map as the first one I produced was 6Gb... :D The reliability of this software is one major factor why I have to use it, Autochart just can't cut it...

Google Earth v8 on Android - warning! 6 years 5 months ago #9959

• Matt
Conrad_Turbo wrote:
I am exporting a Map Project with Shaded Reliefs, Major and Minor Contours. The sidescan is a Sidescan Mosaic, there doesn't seem to be anything else that defines it? I did however get it to work without a hitch with Galileo for the contour map I was having issues with, I'll trim down my sidescan mosiac map as the first one I produced was 6Gb... :D The reliability of this software is one major factor why I have to use it, Autochart just can't cut it...

I think GE is always going to struggle with big rasters, unless you can get "super overlays" to work on mobile (haven't tested this thoroughly yet). The reason being that a single, large image is difficult to handle in memory. Both MBTiles and the GE superoverlay store multi-resolution images that are split into many "tiles" and loaded as needed, in a similar way to Google Maps. I wouldn't worry too much about large MBTiles files (so long as you have the storage space) - because the mapping application will only load what it needs, when it needs it, a large MBTiles file does not equate to big memory usage.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Matt.
SCROLL TO TOP