Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Current Best Transducer/Display units to use w/RM

Current Best Transducer/Display units to use w/RM 3 years 2 months ago #11862

• Zeke XA3
Good day all, been keeping an eye on RM for a while now and looking to take the plunge buy the package and get mapping.

Im heading to the States soon with a bit of money and looking to buy a transducer and display solely for using with RM.

The map sites
Shallow reef, drop offs and wrecks (from a few feet to max 130 feet)

The vessel
Rib, would mount the transducer on a frame to attach off the side of the vessel during use and remove after mapping exercises.

Results
Personal use maps for dive site locating and sidescan mosiac for creating dive site maps.

Since the vessel is already equipped with gear i dont need a huge readable display. However i would like a decent transducer for the raw data.

What would be some suggestions ? Figure better to get some advice here first then come to solve problems after!

Ive seen some Helix 7 and Hook Reveal 7" at WestMarine at semi decent prices.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Current Best Transducer/Display units to use w/RM 3 years 2 months ago #11887

• DannyGeysen
I would suggest a Hook 7 Reveal with an HDI 50/200/455/800 Khz transducer. Using sonar on 200 khz for the logging. That is having a narrow beam, which is best for mapping.
Lowrance ProStaff

Current Best Transducer/Display units to use w/RM 3 years 2 months ago #11888

• ershal
Lowrance 7 ti2

Current Best Transducer/Display units to use w/RM 3 years 2 months ago #11890

• Zeke XA3
Thanks,

I already have the Hook 9 wishlisted just trying to get the technical info between Ice machine/Splitshot/triple shot transducers! So will see what the tprice is with Hook 7 / Hook 9 / 7 ti2 with triple (side, down, chirp) trasnducers come out like!

Current Best Transducer/Display units to use w/RM 3 years 2 months ago #11892

• ershal
Lowrance Hook2/3 does not support raster maps. You will not be able to make structural maps. You will not be able to use the satellite map (background). The cheapest option, with all the features of RM mapping - lowrance ti/ti2.

Current Best Transducer/Display units to use w/RM 3 years 2 months ago #11944

• Team Colibri
Assuming you mean Hook2, not Hook, as Hook was not compatible with Tripleshot.
Hook2 is a very poor choice as it does not support raster, and the transducers sold with Hook2 (Bullet, Splitshot and Tripleshot) are probably among the worst transducers you can use due to a low quality 2D-element, extremly wide conenagle and low power. I would go as far as saying that is Hook2 is the only unit within your budget, you should wait and save up, or look at used units.

Hook Reveal with 50/200-HDI is a great budget-option. It lacks raster and sidescan, but the quality of the sonar and transducer is a lot better than Hook2. With Elite Ti2 beeing discontinued (replaced by Elite FS) there are very good deals to be found on that unit, pair it with Active Imaging 3 in 1 if you want SideScan.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Team Colibri.
SCROLL TO TOP