Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Really Really Poor Performance - RM2

Really Really Poor Performance - RM2 1 week 4 days ago #11652

• fvignola
With Rm1, I have a Map that I was making in 2 parts because it's a big map...

With RM2, I'm trying to make the same map, since two weeks ! 2 weeks that I'm loosing my time waiting after RM2... I have 64GB DDR3 and ultra fast SSD (1500Mb write/2500Mb reads), that I built FOR THAT specific purpose... BUT RM2 is totally incapable to exploit resources...

Juste un example, I'm importing only the contour of my project, only the contour of a river, and some islands... I just open the file, Reefmaster freeze for about 5 minutes... IT'S a little shapefile of 3 megabytes... Then, after waiting for 5 minutes, I select the line to set my shoreline, click on island and change it to shoreline, boom, RM2 freeze for another 5 minutes... And it look like this freeze will follow each time that I generate the map... While I wrote this message, it's still freezed... For a fu#$?$% contour... It take LONG LONG LONG time to do really simples things...

Now I'm trying to make the same project in 3 parts, but again, it freeze, it's long, it's not using computer resources at all...

I really don't understand that... How you can do a version 2 of an app, 100 times worst ?????? It was working before ??????????? And now this is junk...

And again, in 2020, the fact that you can'T open multiples instances is really a total non sens. Our computer, CPU, memory are built to make multi-task, but you cancel that ????????????????? If you can't work with all my computer resources, then, at least, let me open 2-3 instances of reefmaster, this way I'll waste less time waiting after it... It's really long making one part of my project, and if reefmaster work for 1 day on that part, I can't make it run to work on other part at same time, I must wait for it to finish... I'm not happy at all about that...

I don't know if I'm alone, but it'S really pain in the a#$%#$% to work with that... And I'm not speaking about color palettes... Another nightmare working with that... When it was so easy and was working so good before... :(

RM1 was near perfect, RM2 is a nightmare...

I'm lost... I don't understand anything...

PLEASE DO SOMETHING...
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by fvignola.
The topic has been locked.

Really Really Poor Performance - RM2 1 week 4 days ago #11653

• fvignola

2 weeks that I see this... :(

I work with Globalmapper, I have always 2-3-4 instances running, and it is a lot harder on the hardware, and it use full computer resources, AND I NEVER SEE that kind of freezing... NEVER...

Why a software, that use about less than 10% of computer resources, is locked to only 1 instance ? It's a total non sens... ???????????????????????????????????

Really Really Poor Performance - RM2 1 week 4 days ago #11654

• Matt
Can you zip up your workspace file and share to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. so that I can take a look?

It is true that we could probably relax the "one instance" thing - this is primarily to do with avoiding conflicts with map tile caching and workspace databases.

Really Really Poor Performance - RM2 1 week 4 days ago #11656

• fvignola
Workspace file is 1.02 GB... Can't send that via Email...

It look like RM2 is not able to digest the shoreline data file correctly... But it was working really well in RM1, I always built my map with it before, since 2016... Date of the file is 20160626...

I'm rebuilding a contour file, in KMZ instead of SHP... I'll see if it's better...

But the point is that this is not working well at all compared to RM1... Nothing work well... Poor performance, and when uploading, or generating map, it can crash randomly before it finish... You need to restart again... Never happened with RM1... And again, it's the same old data logs that I'm working with since always...

:(

Really Really Poor Performance - RM2 1 week 4 days ago #11657

• Matt
You can zip it up and share via WeTransfer - it would be interesting to take a look, as I may be able to help with these performance issues.

RM2 performs better than RM1 by just about every metric we tested it against, so it sounds to me as if something else is going on here.

You are of course able to use RM1 if you prefer, so why not do that?

Really Really Poor Performance - RM2 1 week 4 days ago #11658

• fvignola
The only reason why I use RM2 for that is because It's working better to export a picture of the biggers maps, with good quality for my needs... This is the only thing that RM2 do better, according to what I've seen to this day... I can get a good resolution, enough for my needs, with RM2, but not with RM1...

To make it short, I'm building a new Android App, that will show my map, and use the GPS of your device, WITHOUT internet connection... In other word, I'm making map for people who do not have sonar and don't want to purchase one... To do that, I need to make my own custom tiles... I did the same process with smaller maps and it was perfect. But with bigger map, RM1 do not render a good image for my needs... And or the contours are included in export format when I don't want it to be, or vise-versa... Things like that... Etc etc...

I'll try to send the project soon... When software will end to work...

BTW, for the performance issues, I think it is not just one issue... When working on my map with Reefmaster, I need to restart my computer really often (2 days max)... If I do not work with ReefMaster, even if I'm developing application with many development softwares, I restart my computer max only one time a month, never more... Like when I'm developing and testing an application in C. With memory error... (I'm developer)...

Really Really Poor Performance - RM2 1 week 4 days ago #11659

• fvignola
I'll post all what I think that might help you, to help me...

First, it take less time to import 160GB of log files, than to import a 3MB contour file...

I tried with a KML, but after import, contour is splitted... And it's causing other issue...

Even if I made a contour with GlobalMapper with point at 1 meter, it's still dosen'T work well, and it's really slow... KML faster but unusable, shp file work, but it's too long to wait after it...

Really Really Poor Performance - RM2 1 week 4 days ago #11664

• Vol
I don't think that RM1 is faster. When I migrated to RM2 all was fine.
But now my workspace file with 4 projects inside is greater than 1.5 GB. Fast computer (9900K based, fast SSD 3500/2500 R/W, enough mem), but...
Open workspace - 20 secs progress indicator, 40 secs freeze.
Select 4 projects, right click to edit all - 5 minutes freeze with weird artefacts in UI. CPU load is less than 10% during this operation.
PS: Maybe I am wrong, but it seems for me that core problem is SQLite wrapper or SQLite engine itself.

Really Really Poor Performance - RM2 1 week 3 days ago #11665

• nvc
the reef is written in NET, and this is the same nerdy cattle!
to optimize performance, you must completely rewrite the program.
SCROLL TO TOP

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site