Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: MAP DISPLAYING MULTIPLE ISOLATED AREAS

MAP DISPLAYING MULTIPLE ISOLATED AREAS 2 months 6 days ago #11414

• SkunkApe
Hello,
I'd like to create an AT5 map that features a collection of individual high-resolution georefenced images which could be located miles from one location to another, yet the map contains only the clipped images with no mapped data in between. Here's an example of a map with only clipped images geofrefenced on a Google Earth Pro base map.

All the AT5 maps I've created to date include all imagery data within the defined map area whether the imagery is of value or not. When creating large area seafloor maps, the majority of the high resolution imagery within the boundaries is of little value. Obviously I don't want to have to switch out sd-cards for every fishing spot I visit within any given trip, so I opt to develop big maps that include as much valable bottom imagery a 32GB card can hold. So with a high resolution raster map that fills a 32GB card will have on average 10% interesting bottom imagery (wrecks, etc), and 90% useless (but pretty) bottom imagery.

From what I understand, Reefmaster can support creating the type of map seen in my Google Earth Pro project. In ReefMaster, a "master project" is created which contains multiple "sub-projects" that can be compiled into one Workspace folder, then exported to at5 format as one project. If true, this type of format would eliminate huge areas of invaluable map space and greatly increase the range of coverage that could feature more clipped structure images.

I'm experimenting with creating the clipped image map. I set up a new master project to host the sub-projects. Each clipped structure image is considered to be a sub-project and is linked it's own folder containing their respective images, tracks and waypoints. No sub-project shares images, tracks, waypoints, etc. (There's only two clipped areas of interest in this Reefmaster test map. Note in the Workspace, both sub-projects are selected, yet only the "UPPER BARGE" area displays the image, tracks and polygon.)

I created polygons to clip to contain each of the structure's area. Nothing of value exists outside of a polygon (except the other structures that are quarantined inside their own polygons)

When I defined the map area, I included all the structures inside the bounding box (again, only two in this test map).Next I ran the Define Map function to set the boundaries of on the defined map area. Then I multi-selected the sub-projects within the master project folder. As I can tell here, ReefMaster only displays one sub-projects data when multiple sub-projects are selected .

Then I select Export -> Map Project -> AT5. There's only one sub-project listed in the "Project Based Naming" dialog.

I didn't move forward with Export process because I'm pretty sure it will only show the data associated with the "UPPER BARGE" not and not include the "DAVID ATWATER".

I need some guidance on how to create a map with multiple selected areas but no data in between them.

Thanks.
Last Edit: 2 months 6 days ago by SkunkApe.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MAP DISPLAYING MULTIPLE ISOLATED AREAS 2 months 4 days ago #11415

• Matt
When exporting multiple projects, you need to multi-select the projects you want to export in the project list at the left of the workspace, and then export by using the right-click Export menu option. It is true that you will only see one of the project names populated into the project based naming/atlas description fields, but that is because only one name can be used for the finished map.Exporting multiple projects as raster will still give you a single, large (or very large, depending how far the projects are apart) AT5 raster layer. This is because we combine all project rasters into a single raster as part of the AT5 export process. Even though the raster data in between the areas of interest will effectively be "empty", it is still processed by the IMC in the same way. In general, it is a bad idea to export multiple maps together with raster layers (although exporting multiple map projects as vector AT5 is fine, and the best way to do it if you are looking for a single finished map file).

Probably the best way to approach this is to export each map project separately, ensuring that the Project based Naming and Atlas Description options are selected. This will result in a number of separate maps on the unit, each of which will only be the size of the individual map project. The downside of this approach is that you cannot see all of these maps at one time on the unit - you need to select the appropriate map source for whichever map you want to view. You could perhaps create a "master" view of all of your map projects as a single map export, but with a very low minimum resolution to keep size and generate time down and then switch to a higher resolution view for an individual map as required.

Are these rasters that you have imported as MBTiles image backgrounds or are they generated within ReefMaster from source data?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
SCROLL TO TOP

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site