Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: RM SETTING THAT GOVERNS SHADED RELIEF COVERAGE

RM SETTING THAT GOVERNS SHADED RELIEF COVERAGE 1 year 10 months ago #11284

• SkunkApe
Hello,
How does Reefmaster determine the area of extent which a Shaded Relief layer covers? I have a canyon map where the Shaded Relief layer only covers 900ft + in depth and does not generate imagery for anything under 900ft in depth. The purpose of the canyon map is to provide high level overviews of geologic features for deep dropping in depths from 400ft to 1000ft, but that depth range displays as Flat Raster not Shaded Relief.

How do I get Shaded Relief coverage from 400ft to max depth instead of 900ft to max depth? Is this a color pallet setting that I'm not understanding?

The attached screenshots show the Reefmaster map in Google Earth (after export) which omits any map features shallower than the 900ft contour line and a multi-beam mosaic raster which shows the map in it's entirety.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

RM SETTING THAT GOVERNS SHADED RELIEF COVERAGE 1 year 10 months ago #11285

• Matt
So the top image is a ReefMaster export, and the bottom one isn't? How does the shaded relief look within ReefMaster? What palette are you using? There is nothing in RM that truncates an SR depth range like this, so perhaps something screwy is going on with the palette. How was it exported?

RM SETTING THAT GOVERNS SHADED RELIEF COVERAGE 1 year 10 months ago #11286

• SkunkApe
Q: <So the top image is a ReefMaster export, and the bottom one isn't?>
A: That is correct, the top image from my initial post is a shaded releif map (KMZ) generated by means of the RM Preset Style - Google Earth Map with Shaded Relief Export tool. The bottom image from my intial post is a raster that was not generated from RM, it's a .tif sourced from a government survey agency that I converted to KMZ. The KMZ is overlayed with RM contour layers exported from RM and the screenshot shows how it displays in Google Earth.

I used survey elevation datapoints to build the RM shaded relief model seen in the first screenshot. The raster wasn't used in the RM project, I included the raster screenshot in my initial post to show how the shaded relief map should display vs being truncated at the 900ft line.

Q: <How does the shaded relief look within ReefMaster?>
A: Here's how the shaded relief map displays in RM with 100ft Major Contour lines. You can see it truncates near the 900ft line.

Q: <What palette are you using?>
A: I created a custom palette which is seen in the original screenshot. However it doesn't matter whether it's a custom or a stock AT5 palette, the issue exists with any palette I apply to the shaded relief layer. (above screenshot shows the map with a stock variable depth AT5 palette)

Q: <There is nothing in RM that truncates an SR depth range like this, so perhaps something screwy is going on with the palette. How was it exported?>
A: RM Preset Style - Google Earth Map with Shaded Relief Export tool

RM SETTING THAT GOVERNS SHADED RELIEF COVERAGE 1 year 10 months ago #11288

• Matt
That does look odd. Any chance you can share the workspace (rm2db) file to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. so that I can take a look?

RM SETTING THAT GOVERNS SHADED RELIEF COVERAGE 1 year 10 months ago #11289

• SkunkApe
Sent.

Thank you.
SCROLL TO TOP