Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trouble creating 3D Raster map with XYZ points

Trouble creating 3D Raster map with XYZ points 4 years 10 months ago #11077

• SkunkApe
Hello,
I'm trying to create a 3D shaded relief Raster image at5 map of an offshore canyon. I'm using AutoGrid or GeoMappApp, or similar to generate an XYZ file that I import into Reefmaster map project as a trackpoint layer. When I generate the map inside Reefmaster and view it within the Reefmaster 3D view, it looks great. However, if I export the map with the XYZ trackpoints layer checked, opacity off (lines hidden), tracklines cover the entire area of extent when viewed on my Simrad chart view. If I uncheck the XYZ trackpoints layer, then export the map, the map displays fine in 2D, however it's featureless when viewed the Simrad 3D view.

So I'm at a loss,

1.) Check XYZ trackpoints upon export = tracklines covering area of extent of map on chart
2.) Uncheck XYZ trackpoints upon export = No 3D features

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by SkunkApe.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Trouble creating 3D Raster map with XYZ points 4 years 10 months ago #11078

• Matt
Any chance you could post some screen shots of what you are doing? I'm not quite clear from your description, but it sounds as if you might have a track layer in your map. Are you generating a shaded relief map? Can you see a model in the 3D view within RM? Are you exporting the raster layers? If you could take a screen shot of the map within RM with the layers list open, and perhaps also a screen shot of your Simrad with the map displaying that would be helpful.

Trouble creating 3D Raster map with XYZ points 4 years 8 months ago #11215

• SkunkApe
Sorry for the delayed response. I've created the steps with associated screenshots from Reefmaster & the GO7 unit. I can elaborate with more details if needed.
(Each step below corresponds with a screenshot that I've attached in order)
Thank you.

1. Download XYZ values for area to be mapped

2. Open XYZ file in a table or notepad

3. Format columns and values to meet Reefmaster import standards

4, This xyz table contains over 100k rows representing elevation values/points

5. XYZ elevation values (LAT_LON_DEPTH) are saved as tracks or trackpoints

6. Once imported_elevation points are automatically display as connected tracklines and assigned RGB color red

7. Zoomed in view of tracklines that Reefmaster generates after points are imported

8. Edit trackline layer to review trackpoints

(continued in additional reply due to # of screenshots)

Trouble creating 3D Raster map with XYZ points 4 years 8 months ago #11216

• SkunkApe
9. Change Color Scheme from RGB to AT5 to hide tracklines from map view

10. Position raster on top of xyz layers and under polygon features

11_Define Map area

12(a). View 2D Shaded Relief map in Reefmaster

12(b) View 3D Shaded Relief map in Reefmaster

13(a) View 2D Shaded Relief mode on Simrad G07 [Tracks collection layer UNCHECKED during .at5 map export process]

13(b) View Shaded Relief map in 3D mode on Simrad G07 [Tracks collection layer UNCHECKED during .at5 map export process]

Thanks again!
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by SkunkApe.

Trouble creating 3D Raster map with XYZ points 4 years 8 months ago #11217

• SkunkApe
14(b). With TRACKS layer selected (check) during Reefmaster .at5 export, this is how the map displays on the GO7.

Also note that viewing the map on the GO7 in 3D mode, the map appears to be featureless (i.e. not displaying in 3D like it does in Reefmaster - see step 13(b)).

Thanks!

Trouble creating 3D Raster map with XYZ points 4 years 8 months ago #11218

• Matt
Hi,
The issue here is that you are adding your tracks to the project as a vector layer, which you don't need to do. You can add tracks to a project in two ways. To add a track as a data source for a ReefMaster generated map, select the "Add track to Map Project" option (or by drag into the "Tracks and Boundaries" view from the asset list). You can also add a track as a vector layer, which will give you a line feature that can be included in an exported map. This can be useful e.g. if you have a trail through a creek that you want to see in your finished map. In your case, it doesn't make sense to add your tracks as a vector layer - especially since your data is not really a "trail" at all, but a collection of data points. You should delete all of the track layers from your map project and ensure that the tracks you want to use as data sources for your contour map are added in the "Tracks" list under the Edit tab (it seems you have done this correctly anyway, since you are getting a map generated within RM). I think this will solve your issue, since at the moment you have an overwhelming amount of vector line data on top of your map, which is likely slowing your map down in RM and also your unit.

Trouble creating 3D Raster map with XYZ points 4 years 8 months ago #11221

• SkunkApe
Thank you Matt, Here's the brief description of the 3D chart option in the GO7 manual:
3D charts
The 3D option provides a three dimensional graphical view of land and sea contours.
Ú Note: All chart types work in 3D mode, but without 3D cartography for the appropriate area the chart appears flat.

Once I've cleaned out the data points layers and ensured they're associated via the Track Edit pane, will that enable the 3D cartography which the manual references? I understand your explanation of how having the data points set as layers was causing the black lines to appear on the plotter, but was that also causing the G07 not to be able to detect the cartography attributes of the map?

Thanks.
SCROLL TO TOP