Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Importing into Garmin GPSMAP series

Importing into Garmin GPSMAP series 2 months 2 weeks ago #10869

• Conrad_Turbo
I have a Humminbird 798 SI HD on an autonomous boat and I am in the process of deciding on a fish finder for my main boat. Based on many factors (Panoptix, Active Captian and Auto Guidance) I am looking at the Garmin GPSMAP series very closely, primarily the GPSMAP 1042xsv or GPSMAP 7410xsv.

GPSMAP 1042xsv
buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/672599/pn/010-01740-21#

GPSMAP 7410xsv
buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/169207/pn/010-01306-12#

I do see within Reefmaster that I can export to GPX format and can choose between Humminbird and Garmin. I just want to make sure that there will be no compatability issues with these newer Garmin units and Reefmaster exported data?

Also I suspect the recorded data from the Garmin unit will be able to be imported into Reefmaster, correct?

I was going through the manual for the 7410 and it states about the Garmin Quickdraw setup and on page 21 of 74 it states this:
Mapping a Body of Water Using the Garmin
Quickdraw Contours Feature
Before you can use the Garmin Quickdraw Contours feature,
you must have sonar depth, your GPS position, and a memory
card with free space.
1 From a chart view, select Menu > Quickdraw Contours >
Start Recording.
2 When recording is complete, select Menu > Quickdraw
Contours > Stop Recording.
3 Select Manage > Name, and enter a name for the map.
static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP_7400-7600_OM_EN-US.pdf

I don't see any mention of the file type, however on the next page it states about the ContoursLog.svy file name, in Reefmaster it doesn't list .svy as an acceptable format. Am I missing something? I am really hoping this Garmin unit will work so I appreciate any info you can provide!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Importing into Garmin GPSMAP series 2 months 2 weeks ago #10871

• Matt
Garmin compatibility is extremely limited - we are only able to import depth and position data from GPX files of Garmin trails. ReefMaster cannot generate maps for display on modern Garmin units and cannot read Garmin sonar log files, unfortunately.

Importing into Garmin GPSMAP series 2 months 2 weeks ago #10873

• Conrad_Turbo
Dang! Not what I was hoping to hear... So I cannot push mapping data back into the Garmin, nor review side scan data on the computer. Reefmaster could still take the depth and location data via the NMEA for live data collection though? I'd be okay with having the laptop on the boat with Reefmaster open at all times if that's the case. Thanks for the quick and honest reply Matt.

Importing into Garmin GPSMAP series 2 months 1 week ago #10884

• Conrad_Turbo
Sorry I don't mean to bug you Matt, but has it been tested to have the NMEA output from a Garmin to build a map in Reefmaster in real time? I would assume this is possible?

Importing into Garmin GPSMAP series 2 months 1 week ago #10885

• Matt
Sorry for late reply - yes, should work fine with any live NMEA0183 data source.
SCROLL TO TOP

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site