Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Plotting depth charts with Lowrance Elite-7 Ti

Plotting depth charts with Lowrance Elite-7 Ti 6 years 8 months ago #9692

• sam94
Hi all,

For my thesis I'm looking for a relative cheap sonar system which is able to plot a depth chart with a position accuracy of at least 5 metres and a depth accuracy of at least 0.5 metres on a depth up to 60 metres.
The Lowrance Elite-7 Ti unit got my attention (with the NMEA-2000 option for e.g. an external positioning system). Along with the Airmar P66 transducer I think I have picked a system which comply with the requirements. To plot a chart I want to use Reefmaster which has the features I am looking for. During the measurements I want to use the Live Data option by connection my pc to the head unit through a serial cable.
My question, am I on the right track? And does the built-in positioning system in the Elite-7 met the accuracy of 5 metres world-wide?

Thanks,
Sam
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Plotting depth charts with Lowrance Elite-7 Ti 6 years 8 months ago #9694

• ODS-homer
I just got an ELITE 5TI to replace my humminbird Helix5, so I can at least compare those two.
The ELITE GPS works much better, I get a fix in my room on the table, while the HELIX couldn't even get one at the window.
Nevertheless, GPS signals can be shaded by trees or reflected by rocks, so you will get your signal on open water, but 5m accuracy might not be possible on small rivers in the woods or in deep fjords/valleys.

Plotting depth charts with Lowrance Elite-7 Ti 6 years 8 months ago #9711

• sam94
Please correct me if I am wrong.

To connect the elite7 ti to a pc to open the live data application of reefmaster, I need to connect a serial cable from my pc to the nmea0183 rear connection of the unit, right? If this unit is also connected with other devices like a GPS receiver through the NMEA-2000, is reefmaster able to receive that position data while it is connected through the NMEA-0183 connection?

Plotting depth charts with Lowrance Elite-7 Ti 6 years 8 months ago #9712

• Vol
You may connect without cable - NMEA-183 over wifi works, checked. You only need to install virtual com port on PC.

Plotting depth charts with Lowrance Elite-7 Ti 5 years 8 months ago #10559

• PauG.
Hi Vol,

How can you do it? I'm trying to acquire Nmea 0183 data from a Lowrance elite 5 ti to the reefmaster live data with no succes.
thanks in advance.
SCROLL TO TOP