Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Multiple Shorelines

Multiple Shorelines 7 years 1 month ago #8743

• TJ
I believe I've discovered (learned?) another new feature of V2. Multiple shorelines in one project! I have been creating maps yesterday and today using multiple shorelines. It seems like V1 would only let me use one shoreline and unlimited islands. (That what my notes say) It treated any more than one shoreline as an island and omitted data within the extra shoreline. That, or it would only allow you to designate one boundary as a shoreline.

With V2, once you generate a map area, includes all shorlines designated as such in the editor, and includes map data within all shorelines. In short, if you have a big body of water with multiple shorelines, you can include whatever shoreline files you need within a given map area. This is great, because I can add shorelines and then create a map project in whatever size boundary square I want. I'm no longer limited to the shoreline boundaries. Much more freedom to create different map sizes, and with the new combine feature, even more freedom to combine smaller maps with different shorelines for a continuous map of any size.

Thanks for this! V2 is like a good book, I can't put it down!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Multiple Shorelines 7 years 1 month ago #8746

• Matt
Hmm! I think that this is actually a bug and you might end up getting some very unpredictable results with multiple shorelines, depending on how the set of shoreline/island polygons gets combined! I'll look into it - perhaps it can be left as is, but it may be prudent to put the limitation back!

Multiple Shorelines 7 years 1 month ago #8749

• TJ
Interesting. I just generated another one minutes ago. I have 4 different shoreline files for the lake, and made a map with boundaries that overlapped two of them "just to see." Its working, so I'm not limited to making a map with boundaries that only encompass one shoreline. In the edit window, I definitely have two paths designated as "shorelines." So far the results look accurate. I'll let you know if I get any bugs in the generated map, or the AT5. Both look good for now.

I was ready to re-draw my shoreline files and connect them all together as one, and that's when I decided to give a try overlapping more than one with the map boundary. Previously, my shoreline files I made in GE were closed polygons. Still are. I just go in to the editor and designate them as shorelines rather than islands.

Multiple Shorelines 7 years 1 month ago #8750

• Matt
Yeah - in theory, it could work just fine. The "bug" is that we used to disable more than one shoreline, and that hasn't happened in v2. The issue is that what happens when you have multiple shorelines is somewhat undefined (and certainly untested). What we do with shorelines is aggregate all of the polygons and compute a "mapped area". You might find that you get some "strange" results if you start overlapping multiple shorelines/putting shorelines within shorelines (or islands) etc but I think in the relatively simple case of just having separate, non-overlapping shorelines you'll probably be fine. We may just leave it in as an "undocumented" feature :)

Multiple Shorelines 7 years 1 month ago #8751

• TJ
My shoreline paths connect to each other, but do not overlap, so maybe that's why it works for me. I remember the disabling feature in V1. I'll keep doing a little "testing."
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by TJ.

Multiple Shorelines 7 years 1 month ago #8765

• Matt
TJ wrote:
My shoreline paths connect to each other, but do not overlap, so maybe that's why it works for me. I remember the disabling feature in V1. I'll keep doing a little "testing."

It's not going to crash anything (I don't think!), you just might need to take a bit of care. You'll see which areas will be included and excluded in the finished map by the shading in the tracks and boundaries view.
SCROLL TO TOP