Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Export to BSB / kap ?

Export to BSB / kap ? 9 years 8 months ago #3183

• B-Wallis
Matt,

Doing a great job.

Do you have any plans to export to BSB / kap files? or is it even possible?

To export, transfer & then navigate directly onto e.g. OpenCPN would be great!

Cheers
Ben
www.ocean-expeditions.com
Expedition support vessels 'Australis' & 'Philos'.
In Antarctica, South Georgia, Patagonia, Arctic, Greenland & more.
Supporting Film, Science, Adventure & EcoTourism
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Export to BSB / kap ? 9 years 8 months ago #3186

• Matt
Ben,
We don't have any plans at the moment to export in the BSB format. Partly this is because we have to be very clear about ReefMaster maps being unsuitable for navigation, and exporting in a navigation chart format might blur the lines somewhat.
I don't know an awful lot about OpenCPN, but maybe it's possible to either calibrate your own image files, or use a KML image overlay export?
Matt

Export to BSB / kap ? 9 years 8 months ago #3190

• B-Wallis
Ok, Thanx Matt.
Yes, good point re "blurring the lines", im sure none of us wish RM any harm!
It is possible to calibrate image files with small Windows packages but they are all quite awkward & involve bits of code, etc, which I don't understand as I'm on Mac running RM via Parallels.
It can also be done in OziExplore but then not exported as BSB / .kap ...grrr!
Im currently receiving quotes on having an OSX BSB converter programmed just for the job.
I'll let you know if anything becomes of it.
Cheers
Ben
www.ocean-expeditions.com
Expedition support vessels 'Australis' & 'Philos'.
In Antarctica, South Georgia, Patagonia, Arctic, Greenland & more.
Supporting Film, Science, Adventure & EcoTourism

Export to BSB / kap ? 9 years 2 months ago #4586

• georgelewisray
B-Wallis,
It's been six months since you last posted on this topic but I will respond for posterity.
"maps being unsuitable for navigation, and exporting in a navigation chart format might blur the lines somewhat"
My current approach is to present the survey data as geo-referenced color coded RELATIVE DEPTHS and to not provide any absolute depths. All our areas of interest are shallow backwaters and I am finding the 'less shallow places' to give a starting point for those that chose to gingerly pick their way thru the shoals. It is also my intent to add suggested routes through areas ( at specified date/time ) with a comment on least depth observed, referenced to MLW, and to provide waypoints of known hazards.
I am working with KAP files and I find the program MAPC2MAPC very useful and very economically priced.
It allows many different raster image conversions/manipulations. My primary use is take a KML map and convert it to KAP chart. The USA/NOAA provides RNC raster charts at no cost and I find it most useful to merge/overlay my data on top of the NOAA RNC/KAP chart.

Link to Google+ album:
( plus.google.com/photos/10430245414549808...hkey=CJL-14imtLHswAE )

This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
E. Cayce
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by georgelewisray.

Export to BSB / kap ? 9 years 2 months ago #4625

• Matt
Very nice George. Do you use Lowrance? It would be nice to have the BSB as a raster background, with vector overlay of your own mapping - that way you could switch between the two if you needed to.
SCROLL TO TOP