Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9141

• paulbiom
I'm experimenting with using Reefmaster to handle my entire AT5 creation process instead of me manually firing up IMC to create the raster layer. However the export process never finishes whenever I include a raster layer. The vector part of the export is successful but IMC exits almost as soon as it starts the raster part of the process. It's that quick I can't even see if any error is appearing within IMC and it leaves Reefmaster in a state where it says Generating AT5 Map but nothing is happening (no memory or drive usage).

I've tried this across 3 separate map projects and going from including only 1 sidecan image layer to the full 10 that would normally be included. Also tried all 4 raster types. Nothing seems to make any difference, IMC exits as soon as the raster export starts. For reference I can start IMC manually, point it at a directory where I have all my sidescan images saved in PNG/KML format and it works fine.

All my projects have been converted from RM1 to RM2 if that makes any difference.

I'm assuming there is something obvious I'm missing here so looking for clues for what to check?

Cheers,
Paul
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9143

• Matt
What raster layers do you have in the maps? If these are upgraded user maps from RM1, then you may not have any raster layers to export. An screen grab of the layers list might be useful to understand what is going on.

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9145

• paulbiom
Cheers Matt. Here you go.

Just to explain I use the Sidescan Mosaic to create a PNG image that I then import into Images. I then right click and add to a map project which creates the image layer. Everything works as expected in the Map Projects view (Screen2). I'm assuming Reefmaster knows it has something to export because it just hangs on Generating AT5 Map, with the progress cursor animating? I've left it like that for 12 hours....ever the optimist!
Attachments:

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9146

• Matt
What version of the IMC are you using? How many raster layers do you have in the map, and what total area do they cover?
You say that the IMC starts and then stops very quickly? But no error about lack of output files from RM?

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9148

• paulbiom
IMC 0.7.4 the 64-bit version. The full map project has around 10 images but I've tried exporting with various including just 1 and it does exactly the same. The smallest mosaic covers an area of approx 300 square meters. The biggest is probably a couple of square kilometers. The entire Map Project area is probably around 15x12km

The export creates the ***_large.at5 and at5.xml files no problem in a split second and then closes, no warning messages about missing files. Reefmaster is just left twiddling its thumbs. If i run IMC manually and point the raster view at the directory that contains all the PNG/KML files then it takes about 10 minutes to generate the whole lot at the same min/max settings I use in RM.

It's very strange, I've been looking for any type of debugging associated with IMC but can't see anything. There's no big rush on it because I can carry on doing it manually as I have been. When I get a moment I'll knock something up to slow the PC to a crawl and hopefully get a chance at seeing what is going on in IMC before it exits.

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9150

• Matt
Can you post a screen shot of your export window with all the settings you are using?

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9154

• paulbiom
Here you go. I've managed to slow the whole process down and do a screen capture which I've attached as well.
Attachments:

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9155

• Matt
Thanks Paul. That video shows the generation of the vector component of the map, but not the raster - which is presumably still ongoing. When raster is exported, the IMC is run twice - once for the vector layers and again for raster. In between the runs, RM needs to generate the raster source files (a set of png/kml file pairs). These will be written to a temp directory of a form similar to the directory shown in the vector process (i.e. a GUID in your %TEMP% directory), and are deleted once the raster has been written. It would be interesting if you could monitor your temp directory whilst the raster files are being generated (and perhaps also monitor RM CPU/disk usage) to see if these files are actually being created and how many of them there are.

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9161

• paulbiom
Cheers Matt that's really helpful. I've been monitoring CPU/Memory and Hard Drive activity and it looked as though it was doing next to nothing, minimal activity in all 3. Now I've got a directory to monitor I should be able to figure out exactly what is going on. Will report back.

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9162

• paulbiom
All fixed thanks. My profile was included in part of a One Drive sync and it seemed that very quickly in to the process of creating the PNG/KML pairs there was some sort of read/write sync issue that seemed to stop Reefmaster from being able to write to that directory. If I disable the One Drive sync then it all completes in minutes as you'd expect.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9163

• Matt
Thanks Paul - that's interesting (and useful) feedback. I wonder why this is happening? I'll look into it as I can imagine this will affect other users as well in time.

Can't Export Raster Layer With RM 2 4 years 5 months ago #9166

• paulbiom
I'd blame One Drive! :) I know it's very aggressive in its file locking and it's not the first time I've had to pause it or move work files out of its influence. If I remember right way back I had to take all my RM projects out of One Drive directories because it used to lock the database up from time to time.
  • Page:
SCROLL TO TOP