Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: QGIS to AT5 labels and color attribute

QGIS to AT5 labels and color attribute 7 years 10 months ago #1035

• DAVES
forum gurus, possibly....Fjordfisher or others
would it be possible to start a tutorial on QGIS and AT5 for other isses??
being a novice learning QGis I am having troubles with the attributes for :
1 Labels
2-setting colors on contour lines??is this possible or must they all be one color
(would like to try to produce maps similar to lcm with varying color according to depth
3-how do I set the depth shades to change (ie white.light blue,blue)
is this done with MAJ_CAT....MIN_CAT?
The pdf from the forum very helpful for area lake backgrounds but could use a little more assistance

OR----would anyone be willing to share a screenshot of their attribute table?----

I have been trying various samples in qgis to set attributes but with little reference material its a bit overwhelming with all the options...the documentation in the pdf from the nmc is very basic and leaves a bit to be desired as a novice
Dave
Attachments:
<*)))><
The administrator has disabled public write access.

QGIS to AT5 labels and color attribute 7 years 10 months ago #1041

• Matt
Dave,
Hopefully Fjordfisher or Trevor will chime in, as they know a lot about this area.
As far as contour line colours are concerned, the attribute is COLOR, which is an integer taken from the colour table in the IMC documentation. To edit an attribute in QGIS, open the shapefile (add vector layer), then (and this always catches me out) toggle the editing mode of the layer by right-clicking it in the layers list and selecting "Toggle Editing". Now you can open the attribute table (again, in the right click menu) and change the values in the COLOR field. The depths are held in the VALUE field, so you can sort by this column to get the contours in the right order. Choose your colour codes from the IMC help file, and be aware of compatibility issues for the higher numbered colours.

Matt

QGIS to AT5 labels and color attribute 7 years 10 months ago #1042

• AnglingCharts
Daves

Here's a set of populated shapefiles to be getting along with. You should be able to have a play and see whats what. The AT5 file that is created by these is on my website.

I think you may be setting your sights a little low by saying you want something like an LCM chart. You can now make absolutely anything.

The file is called shapes.zip - but I've put all 3 flavours of shapefile in there, split by object type number that I use in GME.

T

PS - if you've been used to LCM you may already have GPSMapedit. This is GIS for the technically inept. Like me. I could never get used to QGIS, although it may simply be a function of age rather than someone elses programming skills. Don't have any problems with ARCGis or Globalmapper. Funny that.

File Attachment:

File Name: shapes.zip
File Size:59 KB
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by AnglingCharts.

QGIS to AT5 labels and color attribute 7 years 10 months ago #1050

• fjordfisher
Hello Dave,

Matt and Trevor have made a great preliminary work.
I'm not sure, if You have both, lines and areas, from the same lake for fill pattern. Here a small help for lines to areas (analogue back) in QGIS.

Note: It only work correct with closed polylines. For open polylines, best you close by drawing before (better), or You use tools for auto-closing.

Best wishes
fjordfisher

QGIS to AT5 labels and color attribute 7 years 10 months ago #1052

• DAVES
guys thanks for the tips got the colored contours figured our with your help,:)
I did have to google "SQL query builder" so I could learn how to select the depths I wanted to add the appropriate color attribute to.

Now my next issue is labels for depth??
I assume I need to save a newshapefile from my contours and set attributes as follow:

RTP_COLOR point color for depth label (#value)0-255
MODE (F) feet
VALUE depth number (depth # in feet according to selected contour)
RTP-LIMIT range of display (0 to 32)

AM I on the right path or have I missed anything?
CHEERS
Dave
Attachments:
<*)))><

QGIS to AT5 labels and color attribute 7 years 10 months ago #1054

• fjordfisher
Hello Dave,

yes, it's the way, but use the manual page 11-14!!!!.

- Best You merge Your data with sample shape. The sample shape contain all necessary attribute columns.
- Color is dependent from unit, 0 ... 255 is only for HDS possible, read the manual page 22-28.
- Mode F is possible, but T is better. If You have post decimal positions, in mode F and M there is a few problems.
- RTP_Limit = U_LIMIT is best for beginning.
- FONT is also necessary. Use 7, 9, 10, 13, 15, 19, 23 + B, O.

Best wishes
fjordfisher
SCROLL TO TOP