Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Problem Exporting Shapefile

Problem Exporting Shapefile 5 years 4 months ago #7256

• swalsh
Hello, I'm attempting to export a track to shapefile and kml but it does not appear to be working. The shapefile does not appear in folder after saving and the kmz is empty. Any ideas on my error?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problem Exporting Shapefile 5 years 4 months ago #7258

• Matt
Hard to say without seeing your track and knowing how you are trying to export it. Could you post a screen shot of your track edit window? Are you exporting it via right-click from the asset list?

Problem Exporting Shapefile 5 years 4 months ago #7262

• swalsh
Thank you for the response. I realized I needed to add the track to a map before exporting.

Another quick question. What is the best way to export a full resolution image of the recording for use in GIS? It appears the maximum export resolution is 20 pixels per meter which is of much lower quality than what is seen in the viewer. Can you please advise how to export and maintain the same native resolution as seen is RM?

Thank you!

Problem Exporting Shapefile 5 years 4 months ago #7263

• Matt
20 pixels per metre isn't lower than what is seen in the viewer (assuming you are talking about sidescan mosaic). Typically there are 7-15 pings or so per second, so at just 2 knots 20 pixels per metre is already somewhat higher than the native resolution along the direction of the track. The resolution across the ping is usually a lot higher - perhaps 1500 or so pixels per side for Lowrance and up to double that for Humminbird - and it is true that this full resolution is not always exported at 20 ppm, but losing some resolution in this dimension doesn't really affect the quality of the final image. The viewer also drops resolution in this dimension (slightly more the export, actually), but images are shown using a linear interpolation which does make the images look smoother.

Here's an example showing the same area in the mosaic view and exported at 20 pixels per metre. Note that you can see the individual pings very clearing in the exported image on the right - that is the natural resolution of the recording, and in this case is only about 3-4 pixels per metre due to a wide range and speed of about 3 knots:

Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Matt.

Problem Exporting Shapefile 5 years 4 months ago #7268

• swalsh
Hi Matt, thanks for helping out with this. I exported various screenshots showing how the resolution looks in various formats (MBTILES being worse). 1) Reef Master Viewer 2)MBTILES and 3) PNG. My primary goal is to get these high resolution side scan images into ESRI ArcGIS, quickly and efficiently. So far the only way I've been able to accomplish that is by exporting as MBTILES from RM into QGIS and converting into another format, but when I do so there is a noticeable lack of detail (resampling) that appears to have occurred during the conversion to MBTILES. Do you have any suggested work arounds or workflows that i can utilize to port this data to AcGIS? Also, are there any script interfaces or modules available to support batch export etc?

Thank You
Attachments:

Problem Exporting Shapefile 5 years 4 months ago #7270

• Matt
This may be more of a QGis issue than RM. I would suggest exporting in Png image format, which will also produce a .kml (Google Earth ground overlay) calibration file. You should then be able to import these into ArcGIS. If your mosaic is large, consider using the tiling feature, which will produce a number of smaller images/kml files. At the moment there is no way to batch exports.
SCROLL TO TOP