Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "ShadedRelief' 2.0

"ShadedRelief' 2.0 1 month 3 weeks ago #12032

• Fishton
I see there is a big jump in the appearance of the 'ShadedRelief' with charts like Navionics and C-Map Reveal combined with some Multibeam data in selected areas giving fantastic detail.

How far off the mark are we as ReefMaster users to getting something similar?

Also, is there any way to squeeze a bit more detail out of the ShadedRelief imagery to give a more detailed appearance in our charts?

www.c-map.com/chartexplorer/?utm_source=...ntent=&utm_campaign=

"ShadedRelief' 2.0 1 month 3 weeks ago #12033

• fjordfisher
This is not a RM problem.
The detail resolution is depending from the point densitiy in your datas.
If you have the real source points i'm sure, the result in RM is the same or better (if i see my region in norway as C-map or Navionics - my own datas are much more better!!!).

But for Matt i see the possibility to create a smaller raster size custom setting for ShadedRelief.

ShadedRelief is only another name for the GIS tool "hillshade function" in all common GIS software products. This is not a new wonder from the sea map companies.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by fjordfisher.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"ShadedRelief' 2.0 1 month 3 weeks ago #12034

• Fishton
When you say your "datas are much more better" -
- Do you have an example of this (image)
- What is your survey grid
- Are you using multibeam
- If not which transducer do you use?
Thank you

"ShadedRelief' 2.0 1 month 3 weeks ago #12035

• Fishton
Another thing - how much multibeam data could be squeezed out of the Lowrance StructureScan3D module?

"ShadedRelief' 2.0 1 month 3 weeks ago #12036

• fjordfisher
Again: ShadedRelief or Multibeam from the pic ist he same, a raster with a defined cell size, each cell has a value and you can color the size value with a color, eg white to black.
The smaler the cell size, the better is a shaded structure and the more structure on the ground, the better you can find color diffrences, seen as ShadedRelief. If you have no structure – you only will find a monoton color.
The consequenze is, that a cell size from 5 … 10 m most is sufficient. RM can create smaler ShadedRelief rasters, but there ist the question: does it make sense?
If you use 3DSS datas, you can create ShadedRelief in RM with this and you will see, that the data densitiy is a great problem, you will need for bigger areas a high end computer, or you must use a bigger raster cell size. I’ve tested with 1 m 3DSS point distance (lesser distance is possible).

Your question for a sample: in some countries the government not allowed, to use high resolution data, also not for the sea map companies. In this case it's simple as an private user to create better charts as the commercial products. The raster cell size in RM is min. 2 m – what more do you want?

And if sea map companies present products with 0,5 ... 1 m depthline distance in such data restricted areas - this is only computing/simple interpolation from very few single points and mostly not the reality.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by fjordfisher.

"ShadedRelief' 2.0 1 month 3 weeks ago #12037

• Fishton
Again, I would like to see a sample of your charts so we can all see what you are referring to.

"ShadedRelief' 2.0 1 month 2 weeks ago #12042

• DannyGeysen
Interesting discussion.
But I think Fjordfisher is not using his own recorded sonarlogs, but multi beam data provided by a National Hydrographic Service.
Lowrance ProStaff

"ShadedRelief' 2.0 1 month 2 weeks ago #12043

• Fishton
Oh ok, wish he mentioned that. LOL

"ShadedRelief' 2.0 1 month 4 days ago #12060

• Fishton
Can we see an update to the current ShadedRelief on ReefMaster in the near future?
SCROLL TO TOP