Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Point cloud in StructureScan 3D SL3-file

Point cloud in StructureScan 3D SL3-file 1 year 1 week ago #11350

• Anton76
Hello Matt!

Is there plans to implement in the future point cloud data processing from SL3-files produced by StructureScan 3D?

May be with some limitation i.e. only 3-5 points or for limited range (like not far than 10 m from boat)?
Even in such a limited form it could very helpful for big areas.

Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Point cloud in StructureScan 3D SL3-file 10 months 3 weeks ago #11396

• dan-erik
Anton76 wrote:
Is there plans to implement in the future point cloud data processing from SL3-files produced by StructureScan 3D?
Having used StructureScan3D point clouds, I think they are fairly useless if there is not also an option to correct the data from an IMU. Otherwise when the boat moves in waves or people moving around on a small boat &c the depth will be more wrong with distance away from the boat. An IMU solves this issue, and two GPS-antennas makes it even better, but requires the software to handle the data from all units.

So then it's not only StructureScan3D that would need support, but also a range of IMU units, or at least NMEA data from such units.

Raymarine RealVision has built in IMU in the transducer, so it could potentially be easier to handle for data like StructureScan3D but ReefMaster doesn't support Raymarine products...

Point cloud in StructureScan 3D SL3-file 10 months 5 days ago #11416

• hakan
The 3D scan might be good to find fish but if you want correct bathymetry you need a lot of sensors!
As Dan Erik mentioned you need correct position in x,y,z (use RTK GPS) and fast roll, pitch and heading updates.
With that in place you don't need to worry about any tidal changes since you reference to gps x,y,z and the angle to the echo will be correct.

BUT, you also need sound speed in water at the sensor (in real time) and a sound speed profile for the water column. Changes in sound speed will act exactly like a pair of glasses and "bend" the sound. If you don't compensate for this the a flat bottom will either be curved like a "smiley" or the other way around due to changes in sound speed.

To measure the sound speed profile you stop the boat.
Drop a probe (3000$) that measures the sound speed every 0.5 m and let it fall all the way to the bottom.
Upload the sound speed data from the probe to the software.
The software does ray tracing in real time for each echo to remove the refraction that the changes of sound speed does to the echoes.
This measuring must be done quite frequently, some ships use a "moving vessel profiler" that can do this without stopping the ship.

To cut it short, use single beam echo sounder to get the depth under the boat and keep the distance between the tracks short.
Use the sidescan to detect any rocks between the measuring tracks.,

If you have 100 000$ waiting to be spent, here is a shopping list in that case ;)
www.edgetech.com/product/6205s-combined-...try-side-scan-sonar/
www.valeport.co.uk/Products/Sound-Veloci...-Details/ProductID/1
Then you need a good IMU and RTK gps (L1/L2) capable is better.

Cheers
Hakan

Point cloud in StructureScan 3D SL3-file 10 months 4 days ago #11417

• Anton76
Yes I am aware of this hydrografic/acoustics basics.. But I would say that in many cases it could be better to use cheap equipment even if it provides not such a pricise data, i.e. we can avoid sound velocity profile preparation while the depth is 10-20m or we can prepare point cloud at a small ranges to avoid using IMU.
Anyway - it was just a question if there are any plans to implement such a functionality in the future...

By the way on the market available equipment like Furuno DFF 3D - it has embedded IMU and it's much more cheaper than any professional equipment. Is there somebody who had any practice with it?

Point cloud in StructureScan 3D SL3-file 8 months 2 weeks ago #11470

• nvc
DFF-3D is a stripped down version of WASSP S3
It works quite well and efficiently even when using the standard IMU Furuno SC-30.
The disadvantage is that shooting can only be done in the navigation software MaxSea TimeZero PRO with additional plug-ins PBG, DFF3D (~ 5000 €) Exporting multi-beam surveys from TimeZero is not possible.
The solution based on WASSP S3 is much more affordable than entry-level professional multi-beam systems.

Point cloud in StructureScan 3D SL3-file 8 months 2 weeks ago #11475

• Anton76
If export from TimeZero isn't possible then it's not the case.. WASSP S3 seems to be much more expensive though.

Point cloud in StructureScan 3D SL3-file 8 months 4 days ago #11481

• Fishton
A time is going to come where someone is going to make an affordable TRUE HD MultiBeam transducer and tie it up to a drone flight controller which is very affordable and highly efficient.

Until then, a narrow cone 200kHz transducer and a Hydrone such as the FishTec AIMy is the answer to inland water mapping.

Point cloud in StructureScan 3D SL3-file 5 months 1 week ago #11563

• Salmo
Anyway, the option of reading and playing sl3 Structure Scan 3D logs would be very useful for me. I'm RM user for many years and I am looking forward to this function.

Regards
Slawek
SCROLL TO TOP