Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: QGIS Navigational data

QGIS Navigational data 8 years 10 months ago #5496

• wishin i was fishin
So fellas, I have been having an issue where i write a Reefmaster map to an HDS unit i loose the navigational aids that are on the base map of the unit.

I have started playing with QGIS but i cant seem to find the navigational files needed to re create the channel markers, bouys, etc. does anyone know where i can find these files?

I am looking for data in the US Gulf of Mexico, specifically the Louisiana inshore and coastal waters.

any help is appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

QGIS Navigational data 8 years 10 months ago #5497

• AnglingCharts
The navaids are simply point objects that translate to icons when you run the point shapefile through the IMC. You specify them using the "ICON" attribute in the shapefile. They are nothing to do with either RM or QGIS, (although you can have them set up as custom objects which have been defined in QGIS). The object names that you need to enter into the "ICON" attribute are visible in the "icon documentation" section in the IMC.

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats

QGIS Navigational data 8 years 10 months ago #5523

• wishin i was fishin
Uh...uh...uh...

lol, im following you but I am looking for a source for the waypoints and I cant seem to find any.

i am still battling an issue that when i write a RM file to an SD cad the base navigational data on my unit disappears. i have tried category settings on the unit and map options but nothing seems to bring it back. funny thing is that i can create a map out of SAS planet and the data is there. when i run RM map in the IMC it disappears, no matter what i do.

Was thinking of going the route of creating the data in QGIS.

QGIS Navigational data 8 years 10 months ago #5525

• AnglingCharts
What waypoints are you talking about ? Navaids are not waypoints, they are point objects contained within the AT5 chart you are using. You need to have the navaids in the same AT5 file as the rest of the chart you are using. Suggest you waypoint all of the navaids you want, export the waypoint set then convert them to point objects (qgis, GPSMapedit, GM etc), then fire them into the IMC.

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats

QGIS Navigational data 8 years 10 months ago #5538

• wishin i was fishin
That is what i am trying to avoid but it looks like there is no way around it. the Navigational markers on my area are quite many.

they exist in my base map on my unit but are covered by the reefmaster map i generate.

I did some experiments last night and the only thing i concluded that the base map and the reefmaster map, or components exist on the same layer.

reason why i have come to that conclusion is when i insert the sd card, my nav aids option in categories unchecked on its own. I also noticed that when the tide Icons on the base map are covered by the reefmaster map, the covered stations are no longer available in the tides menu.

I changed all of the layer info on the the user map but noticed the major and minor contour layers cant be set. think this has anything to do with it?

QGIS Navigational data 8 years 10 months ago #5569

• wishin i was fishin
So Matt and AC, I have been reading and with the last update some mapping options were released but only for the name brand chips, Jeppsen, Navionics.

all of my tests point to Reefmaster writing to the same layer that is used on the basemap. can you confirm this or at lease share an opinion?
SCROLL TO TOP