Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice for mapping setup.

Advice for mapping setup. 3 years 4 months ago #10326

• Team Colibri
Maverick wrote:
Also very interested in this thread.

Will be upgrading my sounder soon, and want to get one with downscan and custom maps. Not too fussed with sidescan itself, but 3D maps would be great. From what I have researched, Lowrance/Simrad seem to be the only ones with live 3D Mapping?

After creating 3D Maps on ReefMaster, can these maps be displayed on the sounder? Couldn't find too much information/videos on how well ReefMaster 3D maps are transferred across to a sounder and how it looks. Or much on bathymetric maps, compared to Lowrance/Humminbird etc.

I fish from a kayak offshore, usually not any deeper than 40m. Is the Hook2 just not powerful enough for that depth? How does the Humminbird Helix G2 stack up against Lowrance Hook2, or Lowrance Elite Ti? What would you recommend for my case, and use with ReefMaster?

No, you can not get a proper 3D-map into a Lowrance or Simrad chartplotter.

The main issue with Hook2 are the ducers they come with, they have a 40+ degree coneangle which is pretty much useless for anything deeper then a few meters. The Hook2-series is extremly oriented towards US-bassfishing and that generelly speaking is done in 1-3 meters of water. You can offcourse change the ducer to a more suitable one, but that would put you back in line with Elite Ti (or Simrad GO) pricewize pretty fast.

Elite Ti is a better unit then Helix 5 or 7 (G1 and G2).
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Team Colibri.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Advice for mapping setup. 3 years 2 months ago #10436

• MarsArtis
I'm here looking again for further help:
last saturday I was free to go for the first time by the sea with my Kayak and the Elite5Ti+ Totalscan

I think that something has to be finetuned to have clear recordings.
At first attempt I logged at 800khz.
Then I tried the 450Khz.

(strangely the 450 log shows a track that is lot shorter than I expected , since I mostly made the very same path of the 800khz scan. I'm quite sure I did not stop the recording, but maybe I did. Anyway The size difference is not as much: 255MB for the 800khz and 202MB for the 455khz sl2, so I'm left doubtful...

First of all My area of interest is the Italian Adriatic sea coast:
  • the area I usually visit is plenty of bays with cliffs that vertically go down as deep as 10 to 12 meters. (Going more than 2 km away from the coast;
  • Between bays we have few beaches which decrease smoothly. Average depth about 6-8 meters.
  • The bottom is full of hard rocks fading from the cliffs, mud and fine sand. Here and there you can find isolated rocks.
  • Most of the time the water is turbid due to the current that raises the mud.
At present the Elite is set in General Use Fishing Mode

I'll show you some screens. Please report what is not good in your opinion. (I'm concerned about the 450khz pictures since it seems that some rocks are doubled on the right side, and the left side is not as clear as expected.)

800khz sl2:

450khz sl2:

800khz sidescan view

450khz sidescan view

Advice for mapping setup. 3 years 2 months ago #10460

• longjohn119
Are you using a microSD card? The internal memory in the Elite Ti is pretty limited and fills up pretty fast.. Even if you don't have any maps made yet it's a good idea to log to an SD card rather than the internal memory

Advice for mapping setup. 3 years 2 months ago #10462

• MarsArtis
longjohn119 wrote:
Are you using a microSD card? The internal memory in the Elite Ti is pretty limited and fills up pretty fast.. Even if you don't have any maps made yet it's a good idea to log to an SD card rather than the internal memory

Indeed I'm Using a SD card to log.
  • Page:
SCROLL TO TOP