Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sonar editor enhancements

Sonar editor enhancements 9 years 7 months ago #3240

• Mats
Matt,

I have been recording a lot data lately, and now I am struggling likewise a lot with the sonar editor. The automatic tracking just cannot get a good lock onto the bottom in the area I am surveying at the moment. There are a lot of boulders and rocks that fools the system. Nothing to say about this, because sometimes even I have difficulties to tell what is what.

But to correct all the data is a very tedious operation, especially since the edit tool is quite difficult (inaccurate) to draw with.

So how about a semi-automatic tool that assists the user (and the software). I am thinking something like the tool in Adobe Photoshop when you want to make a cutout. Then you can use a brush to tell the software roughly where the border you want to trace is, then the software more easily can trace the subject path automatically.

If this is too difficult to implement, then at least can you please replace the editor pen with a crosshair or similar :-)

//Mats
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sonar editor enhancements 9 years 7 months ago #3241

• Matt
Hi Mats,
Yes - I am aware that our solution for this at the moment is - let's say - "sub optimal". DrDepth actually had a very nice solution and I have thought about it a fair bit. It is quite a lot of work - not so much for the edge detection, which is a fairly well known problem, but working out how the UI would work and a few other things.
It is on the list for post side-scan mosaic enhancements (along with quite a few other things :) )

Sonar editor enhancements 9 years 7 months ago #3242

• Mats
User assisted edge detection, yes, that would be a very nice feature in the future, indeed.

But first things first.
Don't let me disturb the work with the long awaited side-scan mosaic module. Otherwise I risk getting the entire community chasing me down ;-)

//Mats

Sonar editor enhancements 9 years 5 months ago #3887

• craigm
Further to the original post, there are often sections of my .sl2 tracks that do not have any data points marked when they are examined in the Reefmaster Sonar Editor. This seems to be when my sonar has lost bottom and isn't assigning a depth, even though the bottom can be visually seen in the track file. Right now, the data from these sections is effectively lost in Reefmaster; I can't "trace the bottom" using the sonar editor because there isn't any data markers associated with that section. My workaround is to do all the sonar log processing in Dr. Depth, and ultimately import a .csv file into Reefmaster (instead of the .sl2)....but its a slow process, and a database full of .csv files instead of .sl2 files is not ideal.

Hopefully this little issue can be fixed at the same time as when edge detection is incorporated. :)

Sonar editor enhancements 9 years 5 months ago #3891

• Matt
Hi Craig,
When we implement edge detection, this will be added.

Matt

Sonar editor enhancements 9 years 5 months ago #3892

• SRR68
Another nice feature would be to be able to apply a depth filter to a group of track points (selected using the "region select" tool) rather than just to the whole track as it is now.
SCROLL TO TOP