Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Database

Submitted Request Status 10 years 3 months ago #1424

• AnglingCharts
Database ? :)

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Submitted Request Status 10 years 3 months ago #1449

• Matt
Trevor - I've put this into a new thread, so you can expand on exactly what you mean by database and we can talk through the functionality required..

Submitted Request Status 10 years 3 months ago #1489

• AnglingCharts
Thanks Matt,

I think it best if I describe my workflow first.

At the moment I use DD, precisely because of the database / sidescan functionality.

I have all shorelines built into the database as simple points, so no need to load up a user map if I dont want to.

My database contains every tracklog that I have recorded for any particular lake, corrected to a datum. I load this up before setting out, and can follow a unique track every time I head anywhere. If I spot something that needs further investigation I can simply shift doubleclick onto adjacent tracks to get the name of them, then pull up the sl2 scan swaths to try and spot the same anomaly on other tracks.

If I am playing with bathy then I can simply shift doubleclick on any point on any track and read the bathy. This is very handy if I'm calibrating a track, or don't know the days correction. I can then adjust my own track on the fly based upon track crossing points. I can adjust the range scale to spot indicators for anomalies, then go and refine the surveys in those areas. This is very useful if I have just clipped the edge of a submerged small drumlin or a glacial erratic, which may not show up at all at normal range scales, but is very obvious when the scale range is reduced to say 20 - 30ft instead of 0 - 50ft (one color representing 6 inches instead of 2.5ft)

When I'm working with historical data, to simply be able to shift doubleclick on a track to locate the sl2 file is as simple as it gets. I can run mosaics with whatever files I want, in whatever order I want.

The 7km sq limit isn't much of a problem, when I'm working with sidescan mosaics I'm limited to 750m square anyway if I want a problem free workflow.

There you go Matt. I don't know how relevant it is to the usual predator hunter, but for Marine Archaeology and bathy it works just perfectly and is the basic tool I use for all my survey work.

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats

Submitted Request Status 10 years 3 months ago #1515

• Matt
Thanks Trevor. Plenty to think about, and once this next release is out then we can get a proper conversation going about live-mapping requirements. I know there's plenty we can do.

Matt

Submitted Request Status 9 years 2 months ago #4588

• georgelewisray
AnglingCharts,
Now a year later, what are your thoughts on DataBase?
I find the DrD database scheme very handy.
I am not yet conversant in RM so am not qualified to comment.
This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
E. Cayce
SCROLL TO TOP