Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Background Map Data Sources

Background Map Data Sources 3 months 2 weeks ago #11097

• Matt
The latest ReefMaster release, v2.1.45, brings the possibility of adding custom background map data sources via either WMTS or HTTP.

I'll add a few examples of compatible data sources here, and if anyone has else has useful map sources to share then please feel free to add to this thread.

To add WMTS data sources, you first need to add a WMTS server using the connection strings below. You'll then need to select the layer you want from the list of layers returned after connecting to that source.

NOAA Charts [WMTS]
Nautical charts for the US are available from the NOAA WMTS service. Configure a new WMTS server with the following string: tileservice.charts.noaa.gov/tiles/wmts

Individual charts can be selected, and they also have various merged/"quilted" layers which are composed of multiple charts at different zoom levels. The layer "50000_1" seems to contain pretty much all of the charts.

Norway [WMTS]
Some nice map layers for Norway available at: opencache.statkart.no/gatekeeper/gk/gk.o...uest=getcapabilities

ArcGIS [WMTS]
Some global map layers here, including reasonable satellite imagery: services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/se...WMTSCapabilities.xml

Germany [WMTS]
sgx.geodatenzentrum.de/wmts_topplus_open...WMTSCapabilities.xml

Netherlands [WMTS]
geodata.nationaalgeoregister.nl/tiles/se...ies&service=WMTS

USGEO [HTTP]
basemap.nationalmap.gov/ArcGIS/rest/serv...rver/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}

Belgium [HTTP]
www.ngi.be/cartoweb/1.0.0/topo/default/3857/{z}/{y}/{x}.png

I make no claim to the quality of any of these services, or the legalities of using them. Some may be better for your area than our OSM default, some may be worse, or very slow - give them a try!

Note: to use these sources in ReefMaster, right click on the links above and choose "copy link address" (or equivalent), and then paste this string into either the HTTP URL field (for HTTP sources) or the URL field in the Add WMTS Server window (WMTS sources).
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Matt.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
SCROLL TO TOP

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site