Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Reefmaster map contours with motorguide Gateway

Reefmaster map contours with motorguide Gateway 5 years 10 months ago #6340

• saugeye
I am wanting to use the motorguide XI5 trolling motor with pinpoint and the gateway system that links Lowrance gen 2 to the trolling motor. With this system, the trolling motor talks to the fish finder and can tell the trolling motor to follow a map contour line. My question is, will a map generated by reefmaster work for this application? If I can be sure of this, count me in for my Reefmaster purchase. I have tried the Lowrance free Insight Genesis maps and while it is ok, it doesn't give enough color difference between the contours. I also don't like doing all the work for Lowrance and giving them my information.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reefmaster map contours with motorguide Gateway 5 years 10 months ago #6341

• fjordfisher
You can extract single depth lines (or other lines if available) 1:1. This elements (analogous tracks) ├Łou can convert in routes for HDS units. It's possible in the unit (does not always work well), but better in external conversion websites or tools, including control of the properties. From IG charts is this not possible 1:1 (You can trace ....).

Reefmaster map contours with motorguide Gateway 5 years 10 months ago #6342

• saugeye
Thanks for the reply

Reefmaster map contours with motorguide Gateway 5 years 10 months ago #6343

• Team Colibri
As far as I know, the Xi5 can not follow contours, only routes. (I have used my Xi5 with the interface to HDS for about a year.) Where did til get the info that it can follow a contour in any chart?

Reefmaster map contours with motorguide Gateway 5 years 10 months ago #6344

• fjordfisher
Here a sample:

www.gpsies.com/convert.do (different formates are possible, also GPSBabel for format converting possible, but also use the RM Export possibilities!)

Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by fjordfisher.

Reefmaster map contours with motorguide Gateway 5 years 10 months ago #6345

• DannyGeysen
Technically yes, it is possible to do it this way. Converting a depth contour to a GPX route by means of a computer. As the Motorguide Xi5 can follow a route.
But following any depthcontour on whatever map is not possible.
Lowrance ProStaff

Reefmaster map contours with motorguide Gateway 5 years 10 months ago #6348

• Matt
Sounds like we need to add a function to turn a contour into a Lowrance route.

Reefmaster map contours with motorguide Gateway 5 years 10 months ago #6351

• saugeye
I did some looking and it sounds like Motorguide is working on this. Minn Kota has this feature. Some don't like it because the map chips off the store shelf aren't very accurate. Looks like with Reefmaster custom maps that shouldn't be a problem. If Reefmaster can make this function happen that would be a big selling point!

Reefmaster map contours with motorguide Gateway 5 years 10 months ago #6442

• Luke
Matt wrote:
Sounds like we need to add a function to turn a contour into a Lowrance route.

YES, Sure we need this :-)

saugeye wrote:
I did some looking and it sounds like Motorguide is working on this. Minn Kota has this feature. Some don't like it because the map chips off the store shelf aren't very accurate. Looks like with Reefmaster custom maps that shouldn't be a problem. If Reefmaster can make this function happen that would be a big selling point!

Don't know exactly,
but in the past i heard that this feature was under Patent protection by Humminbird,
so it cant be done in the same way like on Humminbird Units.

But you also can plan a route along a track on the screen of your unit and let the Xi5 follow this route.
On a touch unit this was very easy done by tipping some points with the finger.
Luke
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Luke.
SCROLL TO TOP