Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: JPEG as background overlay on lowrance

JPEG as background overlay on lowrance 6 years 3 months ago #5674

• JmE
Hi! :)

I got a jpeg file of a big lake that someone has spend alot of time mapping :)

i want to put it in my Lowrance HDS-12 Gen3 as a background overlay.. is there any easy way to do that?

have been looking on SAS and kml file.. i know that SAS makes alot of small images files and adress them in a kml file.

if i make a own kml file and add just one big image.. will that work? :) or will it be to big load for my hds?

this is the image im talking about... i know its a pdf :P www.fiskeisundsvall.se/images/1marm013.pdf
The administrator has disabled public write access.

JPEG as background overlay on lowrance 6 years 3 months ago #5675

• AnglingCharts
Very simple. You will need to reproject it first though, then convert to kml/jpg.

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats

JPEG as background overlay on lowrance 6 years 3 months ago #5676

• craigm
Does the person who put in all the time to map that lake want it to be shared on the internet?

JPEG as background overlay on lowrance 6 years 3 months ago #5677

• JmE
im sure the site owner with the pdf has his permission :)

JPEG as background overlay on lowrance 6 years 3 months ago #5678

• JmE
AnglingCharts wrote:
Very simple. You will need to reproject it first though, then convert to kml/jpg.

T

what means reproject ? is it somthing i do in SAS? and what app i convert it in? i already have it in a big jpeg file

im a bit new to this :) i tryed in RM first but then someone wrote that it was not possible to export images to AT5

JPEG as background overlay on lowrance 6 years 3 months ago #5681

• dannett
If I am not mistaken SAS is best for downloaded online content of maps that are already referenced correctly to a mercator.

Google earth is probably the easiest way to do this (QGIS is a close second), there are many tutorials out there how to do it so I am not going to try and explain it all here. In short though you are going to need to know at least 3 known positions on the image that you can reference in locations in google earth. Then you will just need to save this as a KML/KMZ file (I always forget which). You can import this into RM if you like or just use IMC to export it to an at5 format.
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by dannett.
SCROLL TO TOP