Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: From RM to AutoCAD

From RM to AutoCAD 6 years 4 months ago #5570

• georged
Hello,
We are using a Garmin Intelliducer (NMEA 0183, thru-hull) for lake mapping on a small autonomous boat and will be using RM for the visualization of the results. Is there a recommended process/workflow or software that would allow us to either convert RM output (or the CSV from our transducer) to also create an AutoCAD map of the lake floor?

Thanks,
George
The administrator has disabled public write access.

From RM to AutoCAD 6 years 4 months ago #5571

• AnglingCharts
There should be no problem exporting shapefiles and importing into AutoCad, just be careful to get the projection and datum right as I dont think that RM creats a prj file.

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats

From RM to AutoCAD 6 years 4 months ago #5573

• dannett
I could not manage to get the WGS84 mercator to work for me in AutoCAD so that I could trace a map image. Does anyone know of a good guide for this process as I would prefer to use AutoCAD for my line work.

Dan

From RM to AutoCAD 6 years 4 months ago #5574

• Matt
George, what exactly are you looking for in Autocad? Contours or a 3D model? RM can export Shapefile contours (and I do believe that it does generate the prj file as well - although this is always WGS84). RM can also export an ESRI grid of the generated map (via the right-button menu in the contour view). An ESRI grid contains depth for every square metre of the map and can be used in applications such as QGis to generate 3D models. I'm not sure if Autocad can take these directly, but there is probably a way to get the data in there.

From RM to AutoCAD 6 years 4 months ago #5575

• AnglingCharts
Prj files - you're absolutely right of course Matt - it does produce a prj file specifying Geographic Coordinate system (Lat/Long) as the projection and WGS84 as the datum. ACAD should pull this in with no problem. For anything but equatorial latitudes this projection will look slightly distorted in the East / West direction if used directly and should probably be reprojected to a mercator projection for a more user acceptable end result.

Dannett - this may be your problem - it's not mercator / WGS84 that RM exports - you need to set up the projection to "Geographic - Lat/Long" or whatever ACAD calls it if it doesnt want to read the prj file.

T
http://www.anglingcharts.com/

Mucking about in boats
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by AnglingCharts.

From RM to AutoCAD 5 years 11 months ago #6255

• Osk
What exactly type of map/file should one choose to import ti ACAD? Anybody out there who want to make a picture / step by step on howto export RM contours to ACAD ?
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Osk.
SCROLL TO TOP