Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: AT5 Files created by IMC

AT5 Files created by IMC 5 years 2 weeks ago #10883

• Mark Meierotto
Just purchased a licence for Reefmaster a few days ago. My previous experience was with DD. This has been a pretty smooth transition using the existing shoreline files and sonar logs that have been obtained over the course of several years. My boat is equipped with Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 1 on the bow and HDS-7 Live on the helm. These units are coupled with ethernet cable for Lowrance waypoint sharing.Have a question for the experienced. It seems that the AT5 files are huge compared to the old LCM files that DD produced for the gen 1 unit. Also the AT5 format offers several choices. Which choice is best? The relief shading files are enormous, does this effect Lowrance speed? Are the IMC output files to be packaged into their own folder? Can a Lowrance unit load multiple AT5 file simultaneously? My shorelines are sorted and stored by lakes that run contiguous to one another. The Gen 1 unit doesn't seem to mind having multiple LCM files loaded, they merely overwrite where overlap exists. Thanks and cheers from Iowa, USA.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

AT5 Files created by IMC 5 years 1 week ago #10893

• Matt
Yes, AT5 files are in general much bigger than the old LCM, but they do contain much more information, and also the option of holding raster data which is much, much bigger than vector data.
I wouldn't worry too much about AT5 map size. SD cards a big and cheap now, so there are no worries there, and the units will load data as required.
As far as which AT5 format is best, this is really personal preference. Vector maps (contours, isobaths etc) and much quicker to generate and take up less room on disk, and it is also easier to combine multiple vector maps on the unit by simply storing each AT5 file in a separate directory or using the Project Based Naming option to give each AT5 map a separate filename, and storing all of these files on the same SD card.

AT5 Files created by IMC 5 years 1 week ago #10897

• Mark Meierotto
Thanks Matt for your response.
SCROLL TO TOP