Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Satelite image on HDS screen

Satelite image on HDS screen 4 years 6 months ago #9000

• seapickle09
Has anyone figured out how to add contour lines to their photo overlay maps? i would love to have these show but cant figure out how to do it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Satelite image on HDS screen - very large lake 3 years 8 months ago #10089

• Kasba
Hello all. I have successfully created and used maps on HDS using SAS Planet ESRI ArcGIS images and IMC. I have a couple questions.

I have been creating a map for a lake that is quite large, approx. 3600 km2. I received and error message when trying to build the bound .at5s in raster mode--using IMC, which I solved by making separate maps of the lake of approx. 300 km2 each. I also deleted the tiles in the SAS cache each time--the error in broken English (sry do not have the actual text) seems to indicated something about personal use so I imagine it only lets you process if there are a limited number of files in the cache. Anyway...I figured I could simply combine all the different bound .at5s from the different maps into one ShadedRelief folder and I'd be good to go. Unfortunately (as those of you that are much more versed in these matter than I likely know) the different bound .at5s in each folder have the same file names; ie _3DTexture_2_0.at5, _3DTexture_2_1.at5, _3DTexture_4.at5, _3DTexture_8.at5 etc. Question--can I simply change the name of the files I add, for example adding _3DTexture_2_3.at5, _3DTexture_2_4.at5, _3DTexture_2_5.at5 etc.? If not, is there another option, say, to combine these sets of bound .at5s?

Second question--will the HDS handle a large file of say 15GB?

Finally--one of my maps for a smaller lake had an accuracy problem--it was off by about 150 yards. I came across some suggestions online regarding how to fix the "satellite error in SAS Planet 2013". It has me worried that the maps I am currently making using the latest SAS release 160707 may have similar accuracy issues. Can anyone shed any light on this? Furthermore, would you know what might cause an accuracy problem on the map, and how to fix it?

Thanks so much, really appreciate any info or suggestions y'all might have. Complicating matters my HDS unit is in the cabin at the lodge I guide at--in the middle of Nunavut Canada and inaccessible until I fly up there in June. If anyone knows how to view .at5s on the computer that would be a godsend too.

By the way, love Reefmaster. Amazing program!!!

Satelite image on HDS screen - very large lake 3 years 8 months ago #10090

• gpiverson
You won't have issues with name conflicts but you'll have some issues around the edge of your data (one block in the overlap will "win"...it won't be merged).

15 GB isn't unreasonable. HDS will likely handle that fine for raster files.

On the error, there are small errors introduced based on the way the tiles are bounded but not 150 yards off (Web Mercator tiles using Geographic Bounds/Resolution). These types of errors won't be noticeable if you are zoomed in due to a consistent scale factor across the tile but will be apparent if you are zoomed significantly out (z1 to z4). If the data, while zoomed in, is 150 yards off, there isn't much you can do to correct it short of redefining the extents of each tile.

Satelite image on HDS screen - very large lake 3 years 8 months ago #10091

• Kasba
gpiverson wrote:
You won't have issues with name conflicts but you'll have some issues around the edge of your data (one block in the overlap will "win"...it won't be merged).

Hi gpiverson, thanks so much for the info and quick reply. Fantastic. just to clarify, I can rename the files as I suggested? IMC produce a map of say 3500 km2, zm 11 to 17, min 2 max 1024 in one go?

Thanks for the info on the map borders/boundaries. Was wondering about that. Will IMC produce a map of say 3500 km2, zm 11 to 17, min 2 max 1024 in one go? As I mentioned I have not been successful trying to make a map of that size--it doesn't want to go beyond locating files in the SAS cache.

Have a great day.

Colin

Satelite image on HDS screen - very large lake 3 years 8 months ago #10092

• Kasba

Hi gpiverson, thanks so much for the info and quick reply. Fantastic. just to clarify, I can rename the files as I suggested?

Thanks for the info on the map borders/boundaries. Was wondering about that. Will IMC produce a map of say 3500 km2, zm 11 to 17, min 2 max 1024 in one go? As I mentioned I have not been successful trying to make a map of that size--it doesn't want to go beyond locating files in the SAS cache.

Have a great day.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Kasba. Reason: error in question

Satelite image on HDS screen - very large lake 3 years 8 months ago #10093

• gpiverson
You can rename as suggested.

I would verify that you are running IMC v0.7.4.0 but your issue is likely from downsampling the image to 1024m resolution from z17 (roughly 1 meter/pixel).

What occurs within this version (fixed in the current IMC beta), is that you are trying to cram roughly a million pixels into every outputted pixel. To process a single tile, that would be in the range of 65 billion source pixels or about 250 GB of RAM to store that uncompressed. You'll likely hit an issue with your page file when you're talking about RAM totals of that level.

In reality, what you want to do is process a single layer at a time using a more closely resolution aligned level. For now, this is a bit complicated but there is additional filter controls that allows you to automatically do this within the current beta. This will also dramatically improve your processing speeds.

Satelite image on HDS screen 3 years 8 months ago #10096

• Kasba
Can anyone suggest a program/method to view the bound .at5s on Window 7?

Satelite image on HDS screen 3 years 8 months ago #10098

• DannyGeysen
Please try Insight Planner : gofreemarine.com/apps/insight-planner/
But US only at this moment.
Lowrance ProStaff

Satelite image on HDS screen 3 years 5 months ago #10283

• Norton79
Sorry to bring up a old one but i have read it a few times and I'm still having truble getting google earth map overlays. What is the easiest way? I have sasplanet and have downloaded all the zoom levels for lake macquarie but im still not shore how to get them into reefmaster. If anyone is on the central coast please give me a shout out

Satelite image on HDS screen 2 years 10 months ago #10768

• ndoggac
MOBAC (Mobile Atlas Creator) will do the same things as SAS.Planet.

Satelite image on HDS screen 2 years 7 months ago #10850

• AlexH
I year ago a started using IMC for creating my own custom maps with satellite images. And I found at that time that there are lot's of methods.
With the help of @gpiverson's posts i made this 2 video tutorials of 2 different methods:

SCROLL TO TOP