Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mapping accessory data such as temp, O2

Mapping accessory data such as temp, O2 5 years 4 months ago #7273

• Darren
Is it possible to use RM for mapping related data such as temperature?

Input data would be in CSV format; long, lat, value. Though I believe temperature is part of the Lowrance SL2 files I'm using, I've found a way to extract it.

(attention RM developers, this is one of the risks of designing software well; users start to believe it can answer all of their prayers :) )
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mapping accessory data such as temp, O2 5 years 4 months ago #7290

• Matt
Nice idea, and "custom" layers (of any type) are something we have thought about. At the moment the only way you could do something like this would be to treat your temperature (or whatever) value as a depth during import and map in the usual way. I'd be interested to see the results!

Mapping accessory data such as temp, O2 5 years 4 months ago #7292

• DiveExplorer
I would like this feature... :)
Humminbird 581i HD DI.
Mapping the ocean floor and search for history

Mapping accessory data such as temp, O2 5 years 3 months ago #7414

• Guy
Hello Darren

I'm also looking into this feature. In a perfect world I would want RM to generate a temperature map of the surface water... Matt, please ? ;-)
So Darren, how did you manage to extract the temperature of the SL2 file? Would be a great help!

Thanks a lot!

Guy

Mapping accessory data such as temp, O2 5 years 3 months ago #7442

• Guy
I already got so far:

I downloaded SonarViewer 2.1.2 (drive.google.com/file/d/0B3wunPVz1Faea0RGc2NRZFh3dEk/view┬░.
Fight with the missing mscomctl.ocx (google is your best friend).
start SonarViewer, open you sl2 file and export it as a csv file
open the csv file in excel
Remark: The X, Y position in the sl2 file does not make any sense for the moment...

sigh

Mapping accessory data such as temp, O2 5 years 3 months ago #7443

• Matt
Try using Sonar Mode in the IMC to export your sonar log. I'm not sure if this will include temperature, but I think it includes the positions in WGS84. If it doesn't contain temp, you could try matching with the file you created with the old sonar viewer.

Mapping accessory data such as temp, O2 5 years 3 months ago #7444

• Guy
Hello Matt

Okay it worked! But as you said no temperature. We now have decent coordinates. But these two files can merged.

Thanks a lot!

Guy
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Guy.

Mapping accessory data such as temp, O2 5 years 3 months ago #7564

• Guy
Okay I solved all problems by connecting the RS422 port of the Lowrance Hook to an Arduino Mega. The Arduino capture all NMEA sentences and save the filtered data to an SD card (UTC time, coordinates, temperature, depth, speed, number of satellites,...) I also connected two extra temperature sensors to the Mega, this data is also saved. So no closed Lowrance format but data we can read. Next step is to hook a radio to the Arduino to send the data to the ground station. Those controllers open a new world of opportunities!

Guy
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Guy.

Mapping accessory data such as temp, O2 5 years 2 months ago #7617

• Darren
Hello Guy,
I use this Python script to extract lat, long, depth, and temp from CSV files as generated by the Sonar Log Viewer.
github.com/JordanMakesMaps/Lowrance-

When passing the CSV file to the python script, you will get errors RE the input which is due to []'s in the headers of the CSV file. If you mod the CSV file, the scrip will work.
Cheers
Darren
SCROLL TO TOP