Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Questions on IMC

Questions on IMC 5 years 7 months ago #6858

• longjohn119
I just got a Lowrance Elite 7 TI and I'm trying to make some raster satellite background maps and not sure what IMC is supposed to do

Basically no matter what I choose (Satellite imagery, shaded relief, topo, nautical) I end up with a shaded relief map. In fact I ran the same map through all four settings and they all seems to turn out exactly the same and the exact same size.

What the heck is the point of that setting if it doesn't actually do anything? I just find that stupid and annoying

How do I make a raster background instead of shaded relief?

And where can I find some real info on proper file/folder structure and how AT5 maps are built? Lowrance has nothing but Marketing Videos that are mostly dumbed down to the point of being worthless as far as I'm concerned. I can see that for other than gathering data this unit isn't going to replace my Windows Tablet anytime soon for useable and flexible maps.

The Netbook2Chartplotter Project
The Lost Grove Lake Mapping Project
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Questions on IMC 5 years 7 months ago #6860

• fjordfisher
Download the IMC and read the attached manual.
If xou have then more questions - ask more exactly.

Questions on IMC 5 years 7 months ago #6861

• Matt
What sort of input files are you using?
As far as I am aware, the Shaded Relief/Satellite imagery options simply change the type of the generated map so that it can be selected in the unit. They won't do anything to change the map that is generated - the raster you end up with depends entirely on the image files that you supply to the IMC and it has no way of knowing if those images are satellite images, shaded relief images or whatever.
If you can describe exactly what you are trying to achieve, I'm sure that we can get you pointed in the right direction.

As far as the AT5 file structure is concerned, the basics of it are that you get a .AT5 file for each zoom level of a vector map with the default names large, medium and small.at5 (more info on zoom levels in the IMC documentation). Raster maps are stored differently, as a set of files in a folder called ShadedRelief, and there may also be an extra .xml file that contains information about transparency of vector components when rendered over a raster background.
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Matt.

Questions on IMC 5 years 7 months ago #6865

• longjohn119
I'm basically using 1 Pixel per meter imagery from the National Agriculture Imagery Program of the USDA (I'm from Iowa and the entire state photo mapped every year). The reason I do this is because I'm mapping a new lake that didn't top off until mid-July so all the photo mpas online show an empty hole or at best 1/4 full and all the vector maps at best show an outline of the park. I'm the only person that I know of who has a verified shoreline of the lake although last year I was using 2 ft contours shape files derived from 1 pixel per meter LIDAR maps which were made in 2010 before the dam was even built and they were pretty close

Basically I download county wide maps (I have years 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2015 photo, plus LIDAR and basic Topo maps) that are in Mr SID format and NAD83 UTM projection from which I cut out the area of the lake and warp into the standard online map projection (Or in the case of IMC to Lat Long/ WGS84)

I';ve been making my own maps since 2006, making depth maps since 2008 (Dr Depth) and converted US Army Corps of Engineers hydrographic survey maps of the Mississippi River to a usable format which as far as I know I'm the only person to have done so (Corps employees were impressed) Currently I am mapping a new lake here that's been 25 years in the making and since it is only 500 acres will likely not be mapped professionally (and frankly I do better work than what I'm seeing built-in on this unit's maps or maps from Insight) Someone has mapped the lake and uploaded it to Insight but it looks like crap because of the Google background that's 4 or so years old (A dirt hole) and there is no shoreline data nor any way to upload the shoreline data (GPX and SHP) data I have. Also the Interpolation seems a bit much on those Insight Maps and I prefer to keep the Interpolation as low as possible for best accuracy.

Frankly for an A9 ARM processor running Embedded Linux these things sure have a crude file system that could definitely stand some modernization. Because of the limitations of these units ( and lack of Windows Tablets under $2000 at the time) I felt compelled to convert a netbook into a touch screen tablet back in 2009 so I could run decent maps that these units still don't seem close to being able to do. Dr Depth is still the best program for mapping river structure and wingdams because of how easily it shifts water levels on the fly. I convert everything to Zero Gauge and then when I want to use them I can easily subtract whatever the pool height is that day and have a spot on accurate depths despite constantly changing water levels. Currently I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 as my main chartplotter/mapping system and was using a homemade GPS/NMEA multiplexer/logger that I designed and built myself ... Details of the boat (And my aquabot mapping system prototype) can be found on my main blog and some preliminary maps can be found on my other blog specifically dealing with the lake I'm mapping. I also have hundreds of pictures of it as it filled up so I know were every piece of structure is located (And why I also have several different year photo maps)

The Netbook2Chartplotter Project - My equipment dating from late 2009 - present as well as sample maps

Lost Grove Lake Mapping Project - Photo journal of the lake as it filled as well as some preliminary maps. Eventually will have numerous map styles of the lake in about any format you'd want .... PC, Android, iPhone, Garmin, AT5 and eventually something for Humminbird. These maps are all free to download and modify to your heart's desire however commercial use will not be tolerated (If you want to make money do your own work) These are to promote a lake that's going to eventually become one of the best fisheries in Iowa because of the Environmental Engineering that went into it's design to ensure it stays a clear water lake (Hard to do on the Iowa Prairie) These maps will be the "go to" maps for every serious fisherman using this lake and it's a tough lake to map because of all the flooded trees (Hence the need for raster/photo maps )

Photomap showing the tree 'problem' I have to deal with
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by longjohn119.

Questions on IMC 5 years 7 months ago #6866

• longjohn119
I suppose it could be a bug in the firmware of this unit not reading the map 'tag' I made the map in all four raster styles and they all work and look exactly the same.

Right now I don't know of anyone else making maps themselves for these units as they have only been out for about a month so it looks I'm the lead Guinea Pig on this experiment ..... yikes

Also the unit has a Bluetooth transceiver but it's not even enabled in the firmware yet (It's in the manual though) so I suspect there will be some updates coming down the pipe soon. I should probably get a copy of the Insight Planner software and see how it displays on that. For some reason the GoFree site won't accept my debit/credit card even though it's an interest paying checking account with over $5500 in it so I'm a wee bit insulted by that. I had to order a 'scratch card' to license it from a seller that would take my card (Pretty much everyone on the Internet except GoFree/Lowrance) and it won't be here for a couple more days.
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by longjohn119.
SCROLL TO TOP